Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Mitrione: Roy Nelson's VADA request 'little bit of a distraction'

Default Matt Mitrione: Roy Nelson's VADA request 'little bit of a distraction'

Matt Mitrione: Roy Nelson's VADA request 'little bit of a distraction' - MMA Fighting

Roy Nelson's one-man campaign to get his opponents to agree to pre-fight drug testing has been a bit of an uphill struggle.

The UFC heavyweight contender tried and failed to get his original opponent for The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale main event, Shane Carwin, to agree to Voluntary Anti-Doping Association testing.

When Carwin had to pull out of Saturday night's fight in Las Vegas due to a knee injury, Nelson then tried to get Carwin's replacement, Matt Mitrione, to agree to a test.

Mitrione didn't oblige Nelson's request, either. On Monday's TUF 16 Finale media teleconference, the heavyweight said that he's not opposed to the idea of drug testing, just the timing of the request.

"Roy asked me, I don't remember what day it was, whatever day it was, it was probably a week and a half something like that ago," Mitrione said. "I just never, I had a bunch of other things going on. It felt like a little bit of a distraction, I just wasn't able to."

"I have no problem with being tested, people can come and test me whenever they want. It's a couple weeks out on my training camps, I was so intent on getting my blinders put on, I cut my career off, I canceled my Twitter. I didn't want distractions on somewhat short notice, cutting a couple weeks out of my camp ... I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues couldn't distract me."

As far as Nelson is concerned, it's simply time to move on.

"Actually it wasn't that big of a deal, you know, I asked him and its either a yes or no question and that's all I can do is ask for it and you either take it or you don't," said Nelson. "You know, so far I'm 0 for 2."

Besides, Nelson had to adjust to a change in opponents. While Nelson had an inkling that the injury-riddled Carwin would be a prime candidate to pull out of a fight, when the news came down, it still meant a change in camp approach.

"I figured Shane would probably pull out of the fight, its not first time he's done it, I just didn't know when or where it would actually happen," he said. "The biggest thing we switched up was Shane and Matt are two different fighters, one fights southpaw, one fights orthodox, so that's a big change, and then the other things is, Matt was the one who chose this fight, so it becomes a bit more personal."

Nelson and Mitrione were both part of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" cast. a season which Nelson won. Asked the differences in competing on the show and coaching, Nelson drew some obvious conclusions.

"The difference between coaching and actually being on The Ultimate Fighter is having one goal, when you're on 'The Ultimate Fighter' as a contestant your goal is to win," Nelson said. "When you're a coach, you're trying to get eight guys to win, it's up to them to choose which one actually wants it more. You can't give them the heart and desire to go out and do it."

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Idk why but I feel like Mitrione takes a UD in this one, if he doesn't let Roy close the distance.

I'm all for more testing and Mitrione is going to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzz night!

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Honestly, I think I'm least excited about this fight out of all the fights on this card. If Poirier, Varner, Barry, and Ricci win, I'm just going to call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Mitrione has better stand up then the guys Nelson has been knocking out not to mention a pretty solid chin. Nelson is far better off testing his grappling then trading with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Honestly, I think I'm least excited about this fight out of all the fights on this card. If Poirier, Varner, Barry, and Ricci win, I'm just going to call it a night.
    Well if this is the least exciting fight then we're in for a treat

I think Roy will be too much for Mitrione right now. I can't imagine Mitrione finishing Roy or overpowering him to a decision. What will he do, outpoint him? I doubt it but i'm looking forward to finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Idk why but I feel like Mitrione takes a UD in this one, if he doesn't let Roy close the distance.
    How do you figure Mitrone takes a UD over Roy? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Mitrione has better stand up then the guys Nelson has been knocking out not to mention a pretty solid chin. Nelson is far better off testing his grappling then trading with him.
    Mitrione may have a decent chin but it's nowhere near the likes of Roy's. He also has decent striking and power but Roy traded with and survived JDS so I don't think he has much to worry about. I think it's in Mitrione's best interest if Roy decided not to make it a grappling match, btw.

Damn, I was really looking forward to Roy VS Carwin, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Mitrione has better standup than Struve?
    That's the exact same thing I thought when I read that. Hell I'm not so sure meathead has better standup than Herman

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    I think Roy will be too much for Mitrione right now. I can't imagine Mitrione finishing Roy or overpowering him to a decision. What will he do, outpoint him? I doubt it but i'm looking forward to finding out.

How do you figure Mitrone takes a UD over Roy? Just curious.

Mitrione may have a decent chin but it's nowhere near the likes of Roy's. He also has decent striking and power but Roy traded with and survived JDS so I don't think he has much to worry about. I think it's in Mitrione's best interest if Roy decided not to make it a grappling match, btw.

Damn, I was really looking forward to Roy VS Carwin, again.
    Mitrione has improved his striking a lot. He's been using his distance and kicks well and I feel Roy only has that big overhand in the stand up, which he will keep trying to land. If Roy grapples with Mitrione he easily takes it but I don't see Roy doing that.

Thread Information