Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva camp doesn't expect Michael Bisping to get past Vitor Belfort

1. Default Anderson Silva camp doesn't expect Michael Bisping to get past Vitor Belfort

Anderson Silva camp is giving up on GSP super fight, doesn't expect Michael Bisping to beat Vitor Belfort - Bloody Elbow

FUEL TV correspondent Ariel Helwani spoke to Silva's manager, Jorge Guimaraeson, and reported on it on Tuesday's edition of UFC Tonight (transcribed by MMA Mania):

"[Silva's] manager doesn't think the GSP super fight will happen right now, but they'd love for it to happen at some point. I brought up the possibility of fighting Michael Bisping if he wins against Vitor Belfort. And Jorge told me they'd love that fight, but he said he didn't think Bisping has a good shot against Vitor Belfort. So they think Anderson will be back fighting in the summertime, but they're not sure who he will fight then."
    Bisping is set to face Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping on January 19, 2013 at Ibirapuera Arena in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Belfort had his title shot against Silva at UFC 126 and was the victim of a spectacular front-kick KO.

For his part, Bisping spoke to Fuel TV last summer (via MMA Mania) about fighting Silva:

"I want to fight the guy because I want to see how I can do against him. I've beaten a lot of guys, but I want to fight that guy. I want to see -- I think I can do better. And I'm never going to know that until I get in there with him. Yes, I want to fight him. Yes, I want to get paid for a title shot, I want the main event, I want all that. But for me personally, for my mind and soul, I want to fight the guy to know how I would do."
    Bisping also handicapped his chances against Belfort in an interview for MMA Fighting:

"Far be it from me to look past Vitor. I'm trying to make this fight more significant. I'm concerned that I've got my hands full. It's not going to be easy. We're fighting in Brazil. He hits hard. But I think I'll weather the storm and he'll become a punching bag.

"It's well documented, rightly or wrongly, that Vitor gasses quickly. He does slow down after the first round. Obviously, early for me is going to be the most dangerous. The longer the fight goes, he'll start turning into a walking punching bag. At least that's the plan. It's easier said than done. He's going to come out hard and fast, and he will be dangerous. He's a big middleweight. He's been a heavyweight (tournament) champion, and was a light heavyweight champion back in the day. But these are the kind of fights I'm going to take if I want to back up my talking."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

They wanted the fight with Bisping but they doubt he gets past Vitor?

What a surprise.

I agree with Anderson's camp that Bisping won't get past Belfort. I think Vitor KOs him. Seriously just fight Weidman already.

Brown Pride

Belfort is going to be injured and Weidman will step in on short notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

So they think Anderson will be back fighting in the summertime, but they're not sure who he will fight then.
    how about the guy who earned a title shot?

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Suisse drunk I'm having the funsies people not like my crazy
    someone should take my phone when I'm drunk.

Bisping doesn't deserve the shot even with a win over Belfort. Not that he'll win. because he won't. I think this is just Silva continuing to duck people like Weidman, Boetsch, and Belcher. All three of those guys should be closer to the title than Spitsping right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    They wanted the fight with Bisping but they doubt he gets past Vitor?

What a surprise.
    Spoiler alert: I'm too cynical. Shocking, isn't it?

So I read it as some very subtle hype. I think Bisping has a very solid chance to get past Vitor. He's got the length and the mobility to get on his bike and peck and run to a decision win. I think if he tries to exchange in the pocket, it ends badly for Mike, but I think he has the tools to win.

But if Anderson's camp says that Bisping probably won't win, that gets dummied down to "He hasn't got a chance." by a clueless audience. If Bisping then wins, it becomes an exponentially bigger accomplishment, even if it's just on points. If it's an exponentially bigger accomplishment, then he clearly deserves the title shot, even though it would be his second top 10 win, against a guy who is coming off a loss and hasn't beaten a ranked opponent since Franklin, back in the dayo.

And thus Anderson gets to fight Bisping and gets paid.

How cynical is that? tin-foil hat cynical, or just oh-just-shut-the-fuck-up-already cynical?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I think this is just Silva continuing to duck people like Weidman, Boetsch, and Belcher. All three of those guys should be closer to the title than Spitsping right now.
    Has Belcher done more than Bisping has? I mean, he's much more likeable than Mikey, but I don't think he's got the resume. Yet.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 12-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    So I read it as some very subtle hype. I think Bisping has a very solid chance to get past Vitor. He's got the length and the mobility to get on his bike and peck and run to a decision win. I think if he tries to exchange in the pocket, it ends badly for Mike, but I think he has the tools to win.

But if Anderson's camp says that Bisping probably won't win, that gets dummied down to "He hasn't got a chance." by a clueless audience. If Bisping then wins, it becomes an exponentially bigger accomplishment, even if it's just on points. If it's an exponentially bigger accomplishment, then he clearly deserves the title shot, even though it would be his second top 10 win, against a guy who is coming off a loss and hasn't beaten a ranked opponent since Franklin, back in the dayo.

And thus Anderson gets to fight Bisping and gets paid.

How cynical is that? tin-foil hat cynical, or just oh-just-shut-the-fuck-up-already cynical?

rh
    That's been my thinking since this fight was announced. I figured if GSP/Silva didn't go down, Silva would push hard for a fight with Bisping. This is certainly laying the tracks for the UFC 163: Silva vs. Bisping @Wembley Stadium hype train.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I would like to see Belcher's tattoo fight Anderson.

Thread Information