Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Ronda Rousey Is Only Reason Women's MMA Is Happening in UFC

1. Default Dana White: Ronda Rousey Is Only Reason Women's MMA Is Happening in UFC

Dana White: Ronda Rousey Is Only Reason Women's MMA Is Happening in UFC | Bleacher Report

UFC president Dana White has officially dubbed women's MMA as the "Ronda Rousey Show."

With Rousey set to make her UFC debut in February, there are many questions surrounding the future of women's MMA on the big stage.

Is the UFC looking to promote women's MMA or just Ronda Rousey? What happens if Rousey loses?

During an interview with MMAFighting's Ariel Helwani, White was an open book when it came to his plans for women's MMA:

I'm putting my toe in the water, and I'm checking it out. There's no doubt, for people who say, 'Oh, this is the Ronda Rousey show,' [expletive] right it is. You're absolutely right. I'm not trying to shy away from that and say, 'Oh no, we're getting into women's MMA.' This is the Ronda Rousey Show.
    White has come a long way in embracing women's MMA.

In 2011, he told TMZ that women would never fight in the UFC. Now, women won't just be competing in the UFC, but Rousey's bantamweight title fight against Liz Carmouche will serve as the headliner for the UFC 157 pay-per-view.

White's concern has always been about the depth of talent in women's MMA. While there are a few talented fighters, Rousey is in a class of her own when it comes to all-around talent and marketing power. White has already admitted himself as being a big fan of the Olympic judo bronze medalist.

Still, it's dangerous to put your eggs into one basket, especially considering the unpredictable nature of MMA.

Rousey will be a heavy favorite over anyone she fights at 135 pounds, but there are some tough women in the division capable of pulling off an upset and derailing the UFC's newfound hype machine.

If Rousey loses, White will give the new champ a chance to defend her title and see how everything plays out:

Ronda Rousey is a mean, nasty fighter, the type of fighters that I like. Now, whether she can win and whether she can keep it going, that's up to her. I have nothing to do with that. Whether it's Liz or any of these other women that beat her, then they're the champ, and then they got to defend their belt.

I don't know how long this is going to last. This could last a year. This could be forever. The 135-pound division could fill up with tons of talent, and we could have tons of great fights. I can't honestly sit here and predict what's going to happen, but don't kid yourself, this is absolutely the only reason this is happening is because of Ronda Rousey.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I still don't think women's MMA will ever be that big. Fighting is typically something men prefer to do much more than women. Plus there are a lot of men whom have no problem watching dudes smash each others' faces in but don't like seeing women do the same.

The talent pool will be way too small.

Brown Pride

Eggs meet Basket.

Womens boxing has sure taken off...so I have no doubt at all that womens MMA will do the same.
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

Dana is obsessed. I wonder if his wife (or husband, whichever way he leans) is a little jealous of Ronda.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I dont see WMMA staying put in the UFC few years from now. Bringing in RR is just the UFC's way of profiting off a big name like they did with Brock Lesnar.

There was an article recently, where Bellator's 125lb fighter, Zoila Gurgel stated that it isnt her goal, as well as other women fighters to reach the UFC. They believe that the UFC won't be expanding beyond the 135lb division and that is only because there is no attraction at any other division. The UFC is gonna help RR get famous and make $$ off her for as long as they can, until she most likely will head to Hollywood. After which the UFC will disband WMMA from the UFC.

So for now, the UFC is looking to bank on Ronda for as long as they can but with no interest in ACTUALLY advancing the statehood of WMMA.

Going to this extent and basing it all on one fighter seems like a pretty dumb business decision to me. If the fans get tired of her, she loses, or just runs out of decent competition - then what?

He's obviously trying to capitalize on all of the hoopla surrounding her presently, but there's a lot more to running a successful fight promotion than basing it all on 1 fighter, and if anyone in the world should know that, it is Dana.

I would just put together any interesting female fights that can be put together, and have them fight from time to time. I wouldn't commit to their own division, at least not now.
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 12-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.

can she deal with the pressure of this

awe, Dana has a crush.
    ...yea, way to invest in an entire branch of mma with one fighter

On the surface, it seems pretty crazy that they would base this division's success on one fight, but at the same time I don't think Zuffa feels that this is much of a risk in the long run. They have to believe that there will be a lot of buys just out of curiosity or just to see the first female UFC fight.

If it draws badly or interest falls off quickly, they'll just cut ties very quickly. I just don't see Zuffa as a company that cares how that will look from a P.R. standpoint at all.

Thread Information