Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP to Benson Henderson: "Thanks for the Blueprint to Beat Nick Diaz"

Default GSP to Benson Henderson: "Thanks for the Blueprint to Beat Nick Diaz"

GSP to Benson Henderson: "Thanks for the Blueprint to Beat Nick Diaz" | Bleacher Report

. Georges St-Pierre has the blueprint to defeat Nick Diaz.

There isn't any secret information floating around or moles hidden in Caesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

To find out more about his opponent, St-Pierre did what every good student does to pass a difficult test.

He studied his notes.

At UFC on FOX 5, Nick's younger brother Nate Diaz was completely outclassed by UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson. While the Diaz brothers are different fighters, there are many similarities in their fighting style.

They are both world class boxers with black belt level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

St-Pierre studied Henderson's performance, and he believes he can successfully implement a similar strategy in his upcoming bout with Nick.

During an appearance on The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale on FUEL TV (via Fighters.com), the UFC welterweight champ thanked Henderson for providing a blueprint for defeating a Diaz:

I watched very carefully your fight against Nate Diaz. I'm going to try to use some of the stuff you have done in the fight to win over Nick Diaz, as well. I'm going to learn from what you did and try to apply it in my game plan. Thanks for showing me the blueprint.

Henderson nullified Nate's boxing with leg kicks and by quickly moving in and out of the pocket. Nate could never get into a rhythm. When the distance closed, Henderson was able to utilize his superior grappling to control from the clinch and work takedowns.

St-Pierre's camp likely won't follow Henderson's exact game plan, but there are definitely some things to take away from his performance. Like the Diaz brothers, St-Pierre and Henderson are also similar in a lot of ways.

St-Pierre has the ability to work Nick on the outside and secure takedowns when the pocket closes. People always talk about Nick's otherworldly Jiu-Jitsu skills, but St-Pierre also has black belt level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to go along with his world class wrestling.

The UFC welterweight title bout is slated for UFC 158 in March 2013. Can "Smooth's" performance truly pave the way for a St-Pierre victory?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Yeah this is why i'm not all that excited about Diaz/GSP. GSP is pretty much tailor made to win this fight. He will work the outside with leg kicks and use the take downs to throw Nick off rhythm; just like Benson. The only difference I can see is that GSP may stay on the ground a bit more looking to control the positions.

GSP will get the UD with ease.

I still call bullshit on Diaz even getting the shot."WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?"

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I still call bullshit on Diaz even getting the shot."WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?"
    Is that an Eddie Murphy quote? if so, Classic!

Nick Diaz is not Nate Diaz.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by dgil View Post
    Nick Diaz is not Nate Diaz.
    You're right, Nate has a more impressive resume than Nick.

I wonder if GSP will try leg jabs hahaha
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

This is exactly what i thought when i first heard about the fight. Only i think GSP gets a stoppage due to cuts. He won't rock diaz with strikes, and he wont sub diaz. But i can definitely see gsp carving his face with elbows and getting the stoppage in the 3rd or 4th
    The King Of Shwing

Quote Originally Posted by thepitbull_11 View Post
    This is exactly what i thought when i first heard about the fight. Only i think GSP gets a stoppage due to cuts. He won't rock diaz with strikes, and he wont sub diaz. But i can definitely see gsp carving his face with elbows and getting the stoppage in the 3rd or 4th
    Especially with GSP's distain for Nick. I see him really trying to hurt and damage Nick, not just grind out a dominant win.

Sorry but GSP has an amazingly hard time finishing any fights, and Nick Diaz is one of toughest fighters to finish. The odds of GSP finishing Nick are very very slim.
    But I agree that GSP should dominate him
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information