Thread: Eddie Alvarez receives UFC offer, Bellator taking 2 weeks to consider matching

1. Default Eddie Alvarez receives UFC offer, Bellator taking 2 weeks to consider matching

Update: Eddie Alvarez receives UFC offer, Bellator taking 2 weeks to consider matching - Bloody Elbow

Up until this October, Eddie Alvarez (24-3) has been Bellator's Lightweight golden boy. He came to the organization back in 2009 and reeled off an impressive 7 straight wins. His BFC resume includes finishes over leg-lock expert Toby Imada and UFC veterans Roger Huerta and Josh Neer. In 2010, he hit his peak ranking as the #3 155 lb fighter.

Alvarez wrapped up his contract at Bellator 76 with a first round KO of Patricky Freire. The only blemish on his record with the promotion was a 4th round submission loss to Michael Chandler at Bellator 58 in a fight of the year candidate. Since then he's been enjoying the luxury of free agency. In the weeks after his last fight, he declined Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney's initial offer to re-sign with the company.

UFC president Dana White made it clear following the Freire fight that the UFC was definitely interested in Alvarez. However, it took him over two months to submit an offer.

Loretta Hunt announced the news on Twitter:

Loretta Hunt@lorettahuntmma
    Per Bellator's Bjorn Rebney, they've received UFC contract offer for Eddie Alvarez and are now a few days into 2-wk matching period. 1/2
    18 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Loretta Hunt@lorettahuntmma
    Rebney says Bellator has capability to match what UFC has offered Alvarez. Decision will be made in next week and half 2/2
    18 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
    To clear up any confusion: after Alvarez declined Bellator's offer, Rebney gave up his right to an "exclusive negotiation" period. By all rights, Rebney could have tied Alvarez down for up to 90 days where he could deal only with Bellator, but Bjorn forfeited that right on behalf of his company. That is not the same as the matching period, which Rebney did not waive. That means, if Rebney decides to match the UFC offer, Alvarez is obligated to re-sign with Bellator.

As far as the offer from the UFC, we don't have any details yet. What can be gleaned from the little bit of information that we have is that the UFC didn't back Alvarez anywhere near as strongly as they did Hector Lombard. Rebney said a while back that Lombard picked up a $300K per fight offer along with PPV points and a $400K signing bonus. That contract wasn't feasible for Bellator to match. The fact that Rebney says matching Alvarez's contract is within their means indicates that Eddie received a significantly less lucrative offer.

UPDATE: I spoke to Loretta Hunt on Twitter immediately following the posting of this article. She informed me that (1) Rebney and Bellator never extended an official offer to Alvarez following Bellator 76. They sit down to talk, but no official contract was given or rejected. (2) Bellator's ability to match Eddie's offer from the UFC is not an indication of it being less than Hector Lombard's.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

ahhhh shit lets make it happen!! I get all giddy thinking about Alverez and Gil Melendez joining what is already the most exciting div in UFC !!!
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

It's going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Bellator isn't going to match.

What if they did match it though...i think its crazy he would be forced to go back to bellator and he cant just pick and choose what company he goes and fights for.

6. Default

I'm not put him down or promoting the question is if he is say #3 in his div he won't get a easy start in the UFC. Say he loses within a few fights the UFC cuts him what will Eddie recieve after that. Yes he may get more sponsership money in the UFC but he has to win. Bellator he can cruze as champion and still be able to get great side money. In his case being in the UFC may not bring him any more $$$$$, but it does offer the chance to be #1 in the world rankings.

Some times you have to watch what you wish for.

Sometimes having balls takes risking a lot. UFC's deepest div. he will not be a shark in a fish pond and I think it is admirable to want to challenge one's self against the best especially with a lot to lose.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

If Eddie decides to stay in Bellator that would probably be one of the stupidiest decisions ever. He should come to the UFC and face Melendez or Nate Diaz in his first fight.

Thread Information