Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Says UFC is 'Neck And Neck With Soccer' On A Global Basis

Default Dana White Says UFC is 'Neck And Neck With Soccer' On A Global Basis

Dana White Says UFC is 'Neck And Neck With Soccer' On A Global Basis - Bloody Elbow

UFC President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta recently sat down with Lee Hawkins of the Wall Street Journal to talk about the company. The interview is about five minutes long, and sticks mostly to the business side of things. They discuss each of their roles in the company, and why they bought it in the first place.

There are two interesting quotes that came out of the video - first, Dana said that 70% of their fighters have a college education (something he's repeated often, but I'm not sure anyone's actually sat down to verify that). The other is a whopper - according to Dana, on a global basis, they're bigger than the NFL and "neck and neck with soccer". That's a pretty dubious claim to me. They might be able to get away with the NFL claim because the sport has little presence outside North America. But soccer? Come on now.
    This article is pretty old, but yet, here you have a reason for a good laugh.
    I thought that when he said that the UFC would be bigger than soccer in 2020, it was the most stupid thing he could ever say.
    Here he said that right now Soccer and UFC are on the same level.
    I wonder what kind of drugs he is taking.
    Last edited by Pasha K; 12-23-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

he also said that TUF was killing it on Friday nights and there was no reason to change it.

and that's just the most-recent tip of the giant iceberg of bullshit that has fallen out of his mouth.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Dana! Noo dana, stahp!!!!!!!!
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Last edited by Sniggles; 12-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.

dimerules28 Guest

Everything Dana says, has said and will say is 100% truth. He has never given us any type of reason to think otherwise. That ufc event in Afghanistan last year was truly groundbreaking. No one not even the president himself could've pulled this off. Thank you oh great bringer of truth Dana White!

I get it. The guy is talking up his business. You can't fault him for that, no matter how wrong he is.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Talking up and being a blowhard are two different things.

Talking up is "the UFC is doing great right now, we are making huge strides globally ect ect......."
    Last edited by beardown98; 12-24-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

I hate soccer and I love MMA but it's not bigger than soccer on a global level. Like Fe1 said though, he's just talking up his company, although it's a blatant lie which he shouldn't do.

Brown Pride

........ah the joys of Megalomania ....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Thread Information