Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Zuffa contract complete, former Strikeforce boss plans to travel, not promote

Default With Zuffa contract complete, former Strikeforce boss plans to travel, not promote

With Zuffa contract complete, former Strikeforce boss plans to travel, not promote
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/with-zu...l-not-promote/

Several weeks ago, Scott Coker’s contract with UFC parent Zuffa came to an end, freeing the longtime promoter to pursue other interests.

Right now, however, those interests are not related to MMA. The former Strikeforce head, who in 2011 sold his promotion to UFC parent company Zuffa, told MMAjunkie he plans to travel and see what the world has to offer before even considering a jump back into MMA.

“The phone’s been ringing, but I’m not going to take something that’s just out there because I feel like I have to do it,” Coker said. “It has to be the right deal, and it has to be the right deal for me, because I think I could bring a lot of value to a company. I’m not in a hurry.”

Coker inked a three-year contract to work for Zuffa as part of the industry-leader’s buyout of Strikeforce, which came at reported price tag of $40 million. Initially, he continued to represent the promotion at events before stepping behind the scenes in 2012. Zuffa folded Strikeforce in January 2013 and absorbed its fighter roster into the UFC.

Coker’s contract does not contain a non-compete clause, meaning he isn’t restricted from promoting MMA.

The end of Strikeforce as an independent organization helped push Bellator into the de facto No. 2 position behind the UFC while also creating a perception that the industry-leader was closer than ever to a monopoly. In fact, the sale of the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion was the catalyst for an FTC investigation.

The government in early 2012 ruled that Zuffa’s role in the MMA industry did not meet the standard of a monopoly.

In its heyday, the promotion Coker started as a kickboxing showcase broke the North American attendance record for MMA and drew over one million viewers as a Showtime property. It spawned the careers of several current UFC stars, including Daniel Cormier, Luke Rockhold, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Tarec Saffiedine.

Although the Zuffa buyout didn’t come without a certain amount of bittersweet feelings, Coker feels positive about his time with the industry-leader.

“My tenure with the UFC is completed, and I will say this, everything they said they were going to do, they did,” he said. “I have a lot of friends there that I developed over the last three years, and I wish them luck and much success.”

As to whether he still has the passion to work in MMA, Coker insists his love for the sport remains strong. But he also is realistic about the investment needed to run a successful promotion, which is why the urgency to return to his old job isn’t there at the moment.

“I think my track record not just in MMA but martial arts, I’ve proven that I’ve contributed a lot of my life to it,” he said. “I’ve sacrificed a lot, and so yes, I still love martial arts. It’s something I still have passion for.

“But the other side of it is it’s a very time consuming proposition when you’re in this business, and it’s draining and it affects everything from your household to your family. It’s a business that when you’re in it, it’s a 24/7 business. There’s really no time off, and from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed, you’ve got to be in the zone to run your company. So there’s a lot of sacrifice.

Scott Coker later went on to add

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

When they talk about the fighters whose careers SF "spawned" I have to wonder how many of the fans who know Nick Diaz or Jake Shields heard about them first as SF champs or saw them fight on showtime. Yes, I understand they held belts in EXC and that Nick had a huge UFC win over Lawler back in the day...but I think SF really contributed to the status that both of those fighters currently have as well.

Thoughts?

EDIT: oh, and good for Coker, cashing checks and walking. I like him, but I hope he stays out of MMA.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    When they talk about the fighters whose careers SF "spawned" I have to wonder how many of the fans who know Nick Diaz or Jake Shields heard about them first as SF champs or saw them fight on showtime. Yes, I understand they held belts in EXC and that Nick had a huge UFC win over Lawler back in the day...but I think SF really contributed to the status that both of those fighters currently have as well.

Thoughts?

EDIT: oh, and good for Coker, cashing checks and walking. I like him, but I hope he stays out of MMA.

rh
    If you're talking about elevating the status of the fighters, SF played a great role. They used their Showtime/CBS deal to give exposure to fighters like Diaz, Shields, Melendez, Carano, Cormier, Rockhold, Rousey, Tate, etc. They even had guy like Hershel Walker to help promote the brand and the fighters too.

But a lot of the fighters were established before they joined SF. IF we talking about homegrown talent, then yes, SF did put fighters like Cormier, Rockhold, Tim Kennedy, Voelker, Valle-Flag, Bobby Green, WMMA on the map, just like how WEC did the same with Pettis, Henderson, Cerrone, Benevidez, Cruz, etc.

I knew who Jake Shields is before it was cool to know who Jake Shields is. I don't think my friends had a clue who he was before he was in commercials where he walks past GSP. I think maybe I hyped him up against Kampmann to them, and then looked like an idiot.
    USA! USA! USA!

I don't think it's ever been cool to know who Jake Shields is.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I don't think it's ever been cool to know who Jake Shields is.
    I think this guy disagrees >

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

Thoughts?

rh
    Strikeforce did produce some really good talent. Good to give it to them there hwoever as an organization it was run like a novelty act which was a shame. I don't like Coker and hope he stays out of MMA.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I wonder if he has a no compete clause where he has to stay out of mma for a certain time before he can promote again.

I just don't see this guy not being involved in mma in some capacity he'll be back for better or worse.

My hat goes off to him I liked the overall product SF put out there. I loved the idea of the HW GP even if it wasn't an original idea and due to numerous reasons it was a failure. For a moment albeit a moment, I was excited that there might be an MMA product that could one day compete with the UFC. Fighters could have more options for employment and maybe we could of seen the pay scale of the lesser known fighters get better as companies vied for young prospects for their roster.

Also if not for SF i wouldn't of gotten to see Fedor fight twice! Something I never thought would happen. Sure I saw him lose to Hendo (which i still contest was a quick stoppage, but whatever) but i got to see him beat Rogers while sitting in an area of the Arena that had quite a few Russians in it. I will always remember that experience, I loved it.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Thread Information