+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White defends Cain Velasquez's 'Brown Pride' tattoo

Hybrid View

1. Default Dana White defends Cain Velasquez's 'Brown Pride' tattoo

Dana White defends Cain Velasquez's 'Brown Pride' tattoo - MMA Fighting

LAS VEGAS -- By now, Cain Velasquez has been asked about his "Brown Pride" tattoo so often, he's pretty much gotten used to it.

"That's definitely a question that everyone brings up," Velasquez said Thursday. "It's just like any other question you've answered other times. It's fine."
    During a press conference at the MGM Grand promoting UFC 155, the former UFC heavyweight champion was once again asked about his tattoo, which he considers a representation of pride in his Mexican-American heritage. But this time, UFC president Dana White stepped in and left no doubt where he stands.

"People that have a problem with the ‘Brown Pride' tattoo are morons," he said. "It says ‘Brown Pride.' Big deal; the guy is proud to be Mexican.

"I lived in Boston, every Italian was running around with something Italian on their body," White continued. "Every guy who was Irish had some Irish tattoo on him, and the list goes on and on. It's ridiculous."

In case his opinion wasn't clear, White added "This kind of stuff pisses me off. I think it's ridiculous."
    Velasquez, for his part, seems eager to put it all to rest.

"I think my fighting style just kind of speaks for itself," he said. "I'm kind of private in everything else, but I just kind of think my fighting speaks for itself."
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

These kind of things are always controversial.

Here he defends Cain's tatoo saying that he is proud to be Mexican.
    What if a guy comes with a tatoo of "White Pride"? Maybe some people are going to consider that he is just proud to be (For example) Irish. However many others are going to say that he is a racist and that he hates black people.

Anyway it should not be that relevant, I do not think that his tatoo is offensive to anyone. I personally think it is waaay worse to have tatoos of a Nazi Swastika.

LOL BTW I found funny that in that press conference someone asked to Cain something like "Are you upset because JDS has now your belt?", Cain was answering something and then JDS looked kinda pissed and inmediately said "Excuse me, this is not his belt, this is MY belt".
    LOL, good that Cigano is putting the things pretty clear.
    Last edited by Pasha K; 12-28-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

White pride woot woot! snowflake in the house!

4. Default

"People that have a problem with the ‘Brown Pride' tattoo are morons," he said. "It says ‘Brown Pride.' Big deal; the guy is proud to be Mexican.

"I lived in Boston, every Italian was running around with something Italian on their body," White continued. "Every guy who was Irish had some Irish tattoo on him, and the list goes on and on. It's ridiculous."

In case his opinion wasn't clear, White added "This kind of stuff pisses me off. I think it's ridiculous."
    If he was proud to be Mexican, why doesn't it say "Mexican Pride"? Also, since he chooses to reside and make a living in the U.S., where is his "American Pride" tattoo?

By putting emphasis on his own race, all he is doing is alienating himself from all the other races.
    ------------------

I've considered getting "white pride" tattooed on my chest but in Japanese lettering because that's the trendy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I've considered getting "white pride" tattooed on my chest but in Japanese lettering because that's the trendy thing to do.
    White pride no problem. White power big problem.
    However if you do the White Power tat make sure you pull out the stops and shave your head, get a red pickup truck and lift a lot of weights.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Yea, it was good to see Cigano make that correction about it being his belt, I really hope that once history repeats itself on Saturday that people will stop acting like Cain is the real Champ and start giving Cigano the respect he deserves. People seem to forget that Cigano also came into that fight injured.

And "white pride" has been historically associated with the hatred of other races not simply the pride of its own. Not sure that case can be made for Brown Pride, also Brown in this case is more of a nationalistic characterization rather than race.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    And "white pride" has been historically associated with the hatred of other races not simply the pride of its own. Not sure that case can be made for Brown Pride, also Brown in this case is more of a nationalistic characterization rather than race.
    You're thinking of "white power". Quite honestly, I hate the double standard that is perpetuated in situations like this. I think any type of racial or nationalistic pride is absolutely ridiculous, but I hate that he can get away with having "brown pride" tattooed on his chest but if I had "white pride" on my chest people would think I'm some sort of fucking neo Nazi. In any case, I think George Carlin put it best...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    You're thinking of "white power". Quite honestly, I hate the double standard that is perpetuated in situations like this. I think any type of racial or nationalistic pride is absolutely ridiculous, but I hate that he can get away with having "brown pride" tattooed on his chest but if I had "white pride" on my chest people would think I'm some sort of fucking neo Nazi. In any case, I think George Carlin put it best...

How can I even try to rebuttal the great George Carlin, I am a huge fan and agree with his statement that people ought to be proud of their own achievements. So I'm not saying that a tattoo that says "brown pride" is necessarily a good thing, however I think that it is a bit of a reductionist point of view to compare it to something along the lines of White Pride, because unfortunately we cant relieve ourselves of history and treat things as absolutes, the swastika existed before the nazi's, but lets face it, most of us would agree that a swastika would be more offensive tattooed in someones chest than a three leaf clover would.

All that being said, Im with you and with Carlin on this one, sounds silly to be proud of something you are born into.

Do you think Dana would defend someone with a White Pride tattoo across their chest.

Double standards.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information