Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fabricio Werdum earns title shot with win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

1. Default Fabricio Werdum earns title shot with win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Fabricio Werdum earns title shot with win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in June 2013 - MMAmania.com

By the time the night is out tomorrow evening (Sat., Dec. 29, 2012) at UFC 155 in Las Vegas, Nevada, we'll know whether Junior dos Santos kept his heavyweight championship or whether Cain Velasquez pried it from his big Brazilian hands.

Because it's never too early to look ahead, we're wondering who the winner has to look forward to. After all, the 265-pound weight class is supposed to be as deep as it's ever been, right?

Well, according to UFC President Dana White, Fabricio Werdum has the opportunity to earn a crack at the crown if he can defeat Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when the two square off following the conclusion of their stint as coaches on season two of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Brazil, which is tentatively scheduled for June 2013.

From Tatame.com (with the assist of a loose translation from Google):

UFC President, Dana White said on Friday (28) that the Brazilian Fabricio Werdum will be the next challenger for the heavyweight belt, if he wins Rodrigo Nogueira in his next fight in early June.

The statement came during a roundtable with the Brazilian media at the headquarters of Zuffa, in Las Vegas. "Yes. If he wins, will have their title shot," said the boss.
    Werdum owns a loss to dos Santos already, having been knocked out by "Cigano" all the way back at UFC 90 in Oct. 2008. Since then, however, he's ripped off five wins in six fights and has looked impressive in recent showings against Roy Nelson and Mike Russow.

Not exactly a murderers row but add a highlight reel victory over "Minotauro" and Werdum will be ready for a shot at the big time.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

LOVE this. There aren't a lot of clear contenders at HW right now, (especially as I say you need at least one win after getting popping) and Werdum has been talked about but not really publicly recognized by DW so far. Really glad to hear this is happening.

That said, I have a hard time seeing him beating JDS. JDS's speed, boxing, TDD, and chin put him way above the division in my view. With time, DC might do it, but I think it takes that Olympic level of skill in wrestling or striking to dethrone JDS. Werdum's BJJ is certainly there, but I don't think he'll be able to take it to the mat.

What about The Reem getting a title shot first if he beats Bigfoot? Reem beat Werdum not too long ago & he's much more marketable. The only reason I can see for this decision is that Dana doesn't trust Reem to piss clean & needs him to prove it over multiple fights before he gets a shot at the gold.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

I hear werdum and reem...no love for dc?

rob_bills Guest

I see this as a rouse by Dana, tbh what with DC and Overeem entering the fold I see Werdum getting fobbed off for one of those two if they seem impressive.

So it's JDS/Cain winner vs Reem/Bigfoot winner for the next title shot, then the winner of that vs Werdum if he beats Nog for the title shot after that? This seems like more planning than necessary.

I doubt if big foot wins he gets a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by carbondioxide830 View Post
    I hear werdum and reem...no love for dc?
    DC just got signed and isn't marketable beyond the hardcore fanbase. We all know how the game works, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    So it's JDS/Cain winner vs Reem/Bigfoot winner for the next title shot, then the winner of that vs Werdum if he beats Nog for the title shot after that? This seems like more planning than necessary.
    More like a contingency plan.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    I see this as a rouse by Dana, tbh what with DC and Overeem entering the fold I see Werdum getting fobbed off for one of those two if they seem impressive.
    Overeem will be next if he finishes decisively and doesn't have a showing like he did against Werdum recently.

Quote Originally Posted by carbondioxide830 View Post
    I doubt if big foot wins he gets a shot.
    or maybe the winner of bigfoot/ overeem fights DC? and then there's winner hunt vs. struve. damn! not sure who's getting a title shot.

This doesnt make ANY sense to me at all.

So the winner of Cain/JDS has to wait until probably next fall/early winter to fight again? What is that, a year, almost? Throw in the hope that Werdum doesn't get injured or what happens if he loses???

Why Not Reem in June if he gets past his opponent??

Thread Information