Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White says Eddie Alvarez situation with Bellator is 'going to get ugly'

Hybrid View

Default White says Eddie Alvarez situation with Bellator is 'going to get ugly'

Morning Report: Dana White says Eddie Alvarez situation with Bellator is 'going to get ugly' - MMA Fighting

"Umm, yeah, I just don't know if I can talk about it," White hesitantly answered yesterday when asked about his attempts to sign the former Bellator lightweight champ.

After a comment from the scrum concluding that the situation must be fine because White would be able to speak if Bellator had re-signed Alvarez, the UFC President carefully responded, "No, that's not what's going on. It's... yeah," trailing off before picking back up. "It's going to get ugly."

That cryptic response was about as far as White was willing to go. Pressed once again on what he meant, White simply threw the question back, "What do you think it is? What do you think I'm talking about?

"If I could talk about it, I would. I think it's going to get ugly."

Earlier this month Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney claimed his promotion, bolstered by support from Viacom, had the capability of matching Alvarez's recent UFC offer. If his words are true, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see Alvarez back in the Bellator cage in 2013. Though White's uncharacteristically subdued response likely signifies that this story is far from over.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

From some of the articles I've read from Bjorn, it doesn't seem like Bellator is going to even try and exactly match the UFC's offer. But instead, try to add extra incentives, that they feel are comparable to what the UFC has in their contract. Like if the UFC offers him a PPV percentage, Bellator offers something else like a percentage of the $ from TV sponsorships or ticket sales. I could definitely see some kind of legal issue with that, with both promotions fighting for what is realistically, and technically, considered "matching" an offer.

Of course it's going to get ugly. No surprise there at all. Bellator is going to do everything they can to keep one of their top fighters from leaving to go fight for their biggest competition. On the flip side, Dana says he wants to sign Alvarez, so if he wants it bad enough it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Eddie's been pretty candid that his promotional decisions all come down to maximizing the money for his kids (said in a much more respectable way than I'm summarizing here). I hope the time of free agency doesn't impact him.

Wonder if Bellator is counting on him getting nervous about time away from paycheck during a drawn-out process and just caving.

I'm wondering if by saying "going to get ugly" there are going to be some legal matters brought into it. Kind of thinking we might see some charges of bad faith bargaining or tampering while under contract or in a situation where negotiations weren't supposed to happen.

Saying it's going to get ugly doesn't sound like a money issue to me. Dana and Zuffa have never been overly concerned about a fighter getting when they didn't feel like he was worth the money he was getting elsewhere or the deal didn't make sense from their perspective. While Alvarez is a is a talented fighter he doesn't make or break the UFC LW division.

More then a financial issues here.

6. Default

I agree with the artical in that a UFC offer they couldn't match due to PPV % and things there org doesn't have to offer. Zuffa knowing that and a large legal team can still get Eddie and/or put much finacial burden on Belator.

I'm surprised Bellator would have the kind of cash to make negotiations get ugly.

I'd always imagine Bellator make the offer, the UFC then make their offer, Bellator realise they can't compete with UFC money, Bellator get Alvarez a nice Gift Basket for his services to the company and wish him well on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemass View Post
    I'm surprised Bellator would have the kind of cash to make negotiations get ugly.

I'd always imagine Bellator make the offer, the UFC then make their offer, Bellator realise they can't compete with UFC money, Bellator get Alvarez a nice Gift Basket for his services to the company and wish him well on his way.
    Earlier this month Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney claimed his promotion, bolstered by support from Viacom, had the capability of matching Alvarez's recent UFC offer. If his words are true, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see Alvarez back in the Bellator cage in 2013. Though White's uncharacteristically subdued response likely signifies that this story is far from over.
    Words are for reading.

Urgh....if I wasn't too tired I'd give you some lip sunshine!

I blame the nightshifts. Do I at least get extra credit for my amusing 'Gift Basket' comment?

Either way if UFC really want Alvarez, I have a feeling they'll make it happen.

10. Default

You gotta remember big money from the UFC doesn't mean it will last normal contract could be as little as 1 and done. Now I believe he wouldn't sign without a large amount gaurenteed no matter what happens.

Thread Information