Thread: UFC President Dana White plans to make up UFC 149 card to ‘upset' Calgary fans

1. Default UFC President Dana White plans to make up UFC 149 card to ‘upset' Calgary fans

UFC President Dana White plans to make up UFC 149 card to ?upset' Calgary fans - MMAmania.com

UFC 149 went down last July in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and was one of the UFC's more underwhelming showcases of 2012. UFC President Dana White isn't happy about it. Read what the UFC's head honcho told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani about why UFC 149 was one of his low points in 2012 and his plan to 'deliver' next time the organization touches down in "Cowtown."

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White wants to redeem his organization in the eyes of fans in Calgary, Alberta, Canada after a UFC 149 fight card that "didn't deliver" last July at the ScotiaBank Saddledome.

When tickets went on sale for UFC 149 --the organization's debut event in Calgary-- last May, the fight card featured a slew of big names including Jose Aldo, Michael Bisping, Mauricio Rua, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Jon Fitch and Yoshihiro Akiyama. Tickets for the event sold out in a matter of days and it was expected to be one of the UFC's blockbuster events of the summer.

Unfortunately, over the next couple of months fighters scheduled to compete at the event dropped by the wayside due to injury and other circumstances and the result was a pay-per-view (PPV) portion of the card that did not feature a single bout fans originally paid for tickets to see.

It's wasn't first time a UFC fight card has been plagued by injuries -- what made matters worse was the fact four of five bouts on the PPV went to a decision and did not provide much in the way of entertainment.

A large contingent of Calgary fans vocalized their displeasure for the card in the form of profanities, and now White --who says the event was his low point in 2012-- wants to make it up to those very same fans.

"In all honesty, I think we delivered great events all year...except for Calgary," White told Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting in a UFC 155 pre-fight interview in Las Vegas. "I think that I'm always very confident going into an event that we're going to deliver because the guys do, the guys always deliver, and we didn't. We didn't deliver in Calgary and that was probably the lowest of the lows. Even canceling the Jones event wasn't as bad as the Calgary event. You know, we went in there, we sold out, and there was a lot of people who - that were upset about that Calgary event."
    White did not state when the UFC will travel back to Canada's second-most western province of Alberta, but UFC Director of Canadian Operations Tom Wright was recently quoted saying the Octagon is scheduled to travel north of the border five times in 2013, so a return in the next calendar year isn't out of the question.

The show last July still digs away at the UFC boss and whenever the organization does put on it's sophomore show in Calgary, White plans to win back the faith of the fans and deliver the type of event that was expected to take place the first time around.

"It's something that really bothers me and it's the thing that stands out in my head the most that I do want to go back to Calgary and I want to deliver next time."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Well I guess that ppv really wasn't his fault so I think we can all chop that one up as shit happens. Maybe they can go back to Canada to host Diaz vs GSP.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Well I guess that ppv really wasn't his fault so I think we can all chop that one up as shit happens. Maybe they can go back to Canada to host Diaz vs GSP.
    Diaz vs GSP will be taking place in Canada. But not in Calgary, in Montreal.

I do not know if this is possible to do, but maybe they can make a UFC on FOX card in Calgary. For some reason, UFC makes much better cards on FOX than in PPVs.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Diaz vs GSP will be taking place in Canada. But not in Calgary, in Montreal.

I do not know if this is possible to do, but maybe they can make a UFC on FOX card in Calgary. For some reason, UFC makes much better cards on FOX than in PPVs.
    Yea I noticed that too! But lets all keep that a secret before they figure it out and yank it.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Lots of injuries and boring fights. Not Dana's fault. Call me crazy, but I actually believe him when he says he'll deliver next time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Lots of injuries and boring fights. Not Dana's fault. Call me crazy, but I actually believe him when he says he'll deliver next time.
    I do to.

The original card was stacked and DW was stoked. The card fell apart and it wasnt like DW was trying to convince us that the new card was awsome, he straight up admits it was the best they could come up with "at the time" and he wasnt pleased with it at all.

If DW wants to do something, 99% of the time he does. And if he really wants to put on a stacked card for the next Calgary show, Im betting he does.

If pretty shitty that not a single main-card fight went down as scheduled.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

UFC 150 sucked too, and it had nothing to do with injuries. More and more ppvs just aren't that good anymore.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I'd fly or drive to Alberta to watch the GSP/Diaz but if it anything less stellar than that matchup no way.

Doing something in Montreal would not affect the opinion of Calgarians at all. If anything, it would make them jealous. Only a handful would make the trip to Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    UFC 150 sucked too
    Don't forget UFC 147
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information