+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Newell Refutes Dana White’s Claim About Joining The UFC

Default Nick Newell Refutes Dana White’s Claim About Joining The UFC

Nick Newell Refutes Dana White’s Claim About Joining The UFC - FightLine.com

All seemed great for Nick Newell (9-0). He capped off the year by winning the XFC's lightweight championship and hoped it was enough that the UFC would take notice. UFC president Dana White is now familiar with Newell, but stated again this week that he doesn't see a contract being offered.
    White's repeated de
    nial is because Newell's left arm ends just past the elbow and he doesn't think Newell has a chance inside the Octagon or getting a license to fight due to this medical condition.

"If you have followed this sport, or know anything about it, you would be able to see that I'm amongst its elite," said Newell to TMZ. "Just because I'm not in the UFC doesn't mean I wouldn't beat most of the guys in there."

Of Newell's nine fights, he has ended all of them. Eight of those wins were stoppages in the first round and six came by submission.

"I've won by arm bar, rear naked choke, guillotine, heel hook, TKO and knockout," said Newell. "In nine pro fights I have never been out struck."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

As far as he has gone in that organization, I don't see him getting anywhere in the ufc.. I mean he cant really defend the left side of his body, any kicks on that side of his body or to the head would be pretty hard to dismiss.

3. Default

I'm for it if the kid is good He has nine pro fights and got licensed for them so I question DW's comment on the commission without more knowedge on the subject.

How many UFC fighters have mental handicaps. Leben is one and there backing him full force. Set him up for TUF or something like that and let a fighter decide what to do.

I worked with a guy who had his left arm cut off just above the elbow and his right at the wrist. He was a deadly bar fighter of course he surprized most, and his stumps are harder than hell. His wife said the hardest thing he does is wash his face the stumps hurt. Drove tri axle for a living and layed his owen block for his foundation.

I think he can defend well enough to work his game. He definitely needs to to circle correctly so that he doesn't catch a RHK. I have watched most of his fights and think he could hang in the UFC. I would like to see him in the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I'm for it if the kid is good He has nine pro fights and got licensed for them so I question DW's comment on the commission without more knowedge on the subject.

How many UFC fighters have mental handicaps. Leben is one and there backing him full force. Set him up for TUF or something like that and let a fighter decide what to do.

I worked with a guy who had his left arm cut off just above the elbow and his right at the wrist. He was a deadly bar fighter of course he surprized most, and his stumps are harder than hell. His wife said the hardest thing he does is wash his face the stumps hurt. Drove tri axle for a living and layed his owen block for his foundation.
    I played basket ball with a kid growing up that had an amputation just below his left elbow. When he put that stump into you it would stop you dead in your tracks.

i think they should give the kid a chance, regardless of the org hes been fighting for, 9 fights undefeated and all of them stoppages?? thats impressive to me. add the fact that hes a title holder and i dont see a reason not to give him a shot. hell, theyve had way less impressive people in the octagon before

'The guy with one hand' has an 'equal opportunity' message for UFC President Dana White

'The guy with one hand' has an 'equal opportunity' message for UFC President Dana White - MMAmania.com

It should come as no surprise then, to hear Nick Newell, who is missing a portion of his left arm after a congenital amputation as a child, asking for his shot in the big leagues (via MMA Fighting):

"No matter how much I accomplish in this sport, it's always going to be something that gets brought up. I've come to terms with that. People will always look at me as being the guy with one hand. As much as I would like to be known and looked at for my fighting skill, it will always be an issue like with the whole Dana White interview. It's always going to be something that gets brought up. [The UFC] is where you can test yourself against the best guys in the world. I want to see where I stand among the world's elite fighters and I feel like I've earned my shot. Anyone else with my track record would be getting looked at, but it's due to outside circumstances. I don't get discouraged too much about things like that. I'm not going anywhere in this sport. I'm good. A lot of those guys in the UFC, just because they're in the UFC doesn't mean they can beat me. I think I match up really well with a lot of people in there. [White] wants to talk about how he wants to give people equal opportunity - to women, to gay fighters and stuff like that. Well, I'd like my equal opportunity as well."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I wonder if Dana's reticence towards dealing with Newell stems from his drive for the UFC to be viewed more legitimately akin to pro boxing than pro wrestling and thus, will try to avoid what may ignorantly be misconsrued as a "gimmick" by mainstream naysayers.

We're not that far removed from the era of "human cockfighting" and I think the imagery of a one armed man being beaten down in a UFC octagon in front of millions of viewers may not be the best thing for the progression of MMA at this juncture.

I'm also curious as to his ability to get licensed in Nevada, California and New Jersey, as presently, he's only fought in Florida, Mass, New Hampshire, Tenn and North Carolina, not necessarily MMA hotbeds.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm also curious as to his ability to get licensed in Nevada, California and New Jersey, as presently, he's only fought in Florida, Mass, New Hampshire, Tenn and North Carolina, not necessarily MMA hotbeds.....
    on the mma hour with ariel helwani this past monday, he had newell on the show. nick said he already has been licensed in nevada..from when he tried out for the ultimate fighter. he said he won his fight by omoplata but was told he didnt make it because at the time he only had a handful of fights..no pun intended

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information