Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Goldberg 'taking time off,' anik steps into booth at ufc 155

Default White: Goldberg 'taking time off,' anik steps into booth at ufc 155

LAS VEGAS – The UFC will try out a new broadcast pairing on Saturday for UFC 155 – though that wasn't the plan until this week.

Regular pay-per-view play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg will sit out the UFC's year-end event, and Jon Anik will join analyst Joe Rogan in the broadcast booth.

UFC President Dana White on Friday confirmed the change to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) but could not offer specifics into the situation or when Goldberg is expected to return to his post.

"He's taking time off and is not working this weekend," White said. "I don't know when he will be back.

White declined to offer any specifics on the reason for Goldberg's leave.

UFC 155 takes place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and features a main event heavyweight title fight between champion Junior Dos Santos and former champ and top contender Cain Velasquez.

Anik has been the UFC's "B team" play-by-play voice for the past year and calls the majority of the promotion's shows on FX and FUEL TV along with former contender and broadcast partner Kenny Florian. Goldberg and Rogan handle pay-per-view cards, FOX shows and other shows when circumstances dictate.

Anik, a former host of "MMA Live" on ESPN2 and ESPN.com, joined the UFC in a broadcast role in 2011. This past spring, he was the host of "The Ultimate Fighter Live" on FX. He also hosts "Ultimate Insider" on FUEL TV, which airs Tuesday nights following "UFC Tonight."

UFC 155 will be Anik's first pay-per-view opportunity with the UFC.
    White: Goldberg 'taking time off,' Anik steps into booth at UFC 155 (Updated) | News
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Oh, that is good.

Would be 1000x better if someone like Bas Rutten or Schiavello called the events.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Michael Schiavello would kick ass in the ufc it took me some time to get used to him but who knows more and has the gift of gab like him

Better than Kenny Florian.

Worse than... many.

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    Michael Schiavello would kick ass in the ufc it took me some time to get used to him but who knows more and has the gift of gab like him
    Schiavello really gets so pumped, it is exciting to hear him.
    Yes, sometimes he says some weird stuff like "The big Kaboosh!!! THE BIG KABOOOSHH!!" or "It is goodnight Irene!", but it is certainly more refreshing than listening to "It is aaaaaall over" after each single fight!

Bas Rutten is very very knowledgeable (IMO much more than Rogan, and not so biased).
    Rutten and Schiavello would be the perfect pair for PPVs.

Rogan and Gold can call the free cards.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Too bad Miletich has so much heat with ZUFFA, he's my favourite. Quadros is also a helluva commentator and I don't believe he has heat with ZUFFA....

My problem with guys like Mauro and Schiavello is that they infuse too much pro wrestling/kayfabe-ness to their announcing and often max out the audio(not that Goldy and Rogan don't).... Anik will play a good straight-man off of Rogan

Anybody know whats up with Goldy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Ugh, Anik is just awful. He's only one step above Gus Johnson.
    Last edited by Ramma; 12-29-2012 at 02:02 AM.

I like Goldy's quirkiness...I've gotten used to hearing Joe correcting him every now and then.
    You Sip Cris, I Drink Machida's Piss

If You Look Like Cecil Peoples, It's Probably Because You Made Some Wrong Decisions In Your Previous Life!

Personally I like Goldie and Rogan, will be disappointing not having the 2 of them. Will wait to see how Anik does with Rogan.

Thread Information