Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White: Anderson Silva signed new 10-fight deal with UFC

Default White: Anderson Silva signed new 10-fight deal with UFC

White: Anderson Silva signed new 10-fight deal with UFC - Bloody Elbow

It looks like UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will be sticking around for a while. His future had been in question lately due to the fact that he only had two fights remaining on his deal, and had been branching out into movies and talked of taking some time off. But that's all in the past now, as Anderson has signed a new 10-fight deal with the organization. UFC president Dana White confirmed the deal at the UFC 155 post-fight media scrum.

Silva (33-4) has been the champ for six years and has won all 16 of his fights in the UFC. His last win came in a light heavyweight bout against Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153, where he stepped up on late notice after injuries decimated the card. He had been angling to face off with UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre next, but GSP didn't seem all that interested in the bout.

The 10-fight deal is definitely not standard in the UFC, where contracts are generally in the four to six-fight range. A few men have received eight-fight deals, but this is the first 10-fight one I've ever heard of. I don't actually expect the 37-year-old to complete the deal, but I'm sure he's making some major, major money either way.

His next opponent could be decided on January 19th, when Michael Bisping meets Vitor Belfort in the main event. White stated tonight that Bisping will earn a title shot with a win.
    Great, that should be another 7 years or so with the rate that he fights.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

He is in such good shape, that he could pull off a Randy Couture and stick around, keep fighting, and win.

when is all said and done with, Anderson Silva will be considered the greatest fighter of all time.

> Fedor
    > GSP
    >Whoever else you are thinking...

Does anybody know how this would work out if Silva wanted to retire after the next 3 or 4 fights? Would he have to buy his way out, or would he be forced to fulfil the contract and fight the remaining the fights? What about if an injury were to force his retirement?

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Does anybody know how this would work out if Silva wanted to retire after the next 3 or 4 fights? Would he have to buy his way out, or would he be forced to fulfil the contract and fight the remaining the fights? What about if an injury were to force his retirement?
    I am just speculating (as we all are), but I am thinking Silva wouldn't sign any kind of a 10 fight deal if it didn't have pretty favorable terms for an early out. At his age, and his negotiating position, he would be foolish beyond belief if he didn't have a pretty good legal team involved with this one. I would imagine there are some performance-based clauses as well that the UFC required for a 10 fight deal to save their butt if he starts to Chuck Liddell.

Who knows though. I don't see him completing the deal just due to age/time. He shoulda stuck with 5, but probably got Anderson Silva money to do 10.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

I imagine he could retire just like Tito Ortiz did.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by noahm View Post
    I am just speculating (as we all are), but I am thinking Silva wouldn't sign any kind of a 10 fight deal if it didn't have pretty favorable terms for an early out. At his age, and his negotiating position, he would be foolish beyond belief if he didn't have a pretty good legal team involved with this one. I would imagine there are some performance-based clauses as well that the UFC required for a 10 fight deal to save their butt if he starts to Chuck Liddell.

Who knows though. I don't see him completing the deal just due to age/time. He shoulda stuck with 5, but probably got Anderson Silva money to do 10.
    Yeah I think you're right, Silva has more leverage when it comes to negotiation than probably anybody else in MMA. Silva is not exactly short of a bob or two, but even so I'm sure he'll be getting some crazy figures for his next few fights, and I think you're right, there are probably a number of clauses in the contract to protect both parties if things do go down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Good point man. I guess it's inevitable with the sport being like it is that fighters will eventually succumb to nagging injuries, or serious ones, and there's not much the UFC or anybody else can do about it.

On a side-note; who is that in your avatar? I need to become acquainted with that booty!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    when is all said and done with, Anderson Silva will be considered the greatest fighter of all time.

> Fedor
    > GSP
    >Whoever else you are thinking...
    He already is in my opinion.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Yeah they can retire at anytime. But if they retire with fights left on the contract they can't come back and fight in another org unless they finish their contractual obligations with the ufc first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    White: Anderson Silva signed new 10-fight deal with UFC - Bloody Elbow

Great, that should be another 7 years or so with the rate that he fights.
    Two fights a year? What more do you want from a 38 year old guy?

2012 - 2 fights (Chael Sonnen, Stephan Bonnar)
    2011 - 2 fights (Yushin Okami, Vitor Belfort)
    2010 - 2 fights (Chael Sonnen, Demian Mia)
    2009 - 2 fights (Forrest Griffin, Thales Leites)

Hes faught just as much or more than the other champions in the UFC;

Dominick Cruz - 2011 (2 fights, Urijah Faber and Demitrious Johnson)

Jose Aldo - 2012 (1 fight, Chad Mendes) 2011 (2 fights, Kenny Florian, Mark Hominick)

Ben Henderson - *one of the exceptions, faught 3 times in 2012, 2011 and 2010. He is also 29 years old.*

GSP - 2012 (1 fight, Carlos Condit) 2011 (1 fight, Jake Sheilds) 2010 (2 fights, Josh Koscheck and Dan Hardy)

Bones Jones - 2012 (2 fights, Vitor Belfort and Rashad Evans) 2011 *exception* (4 fights, Machida, Rampage, Shogun, Bader)

JDS (at the time) - 2012 (2 fights, Frank Mir and Cain) 2011 ( 2 fights, Cain and Carwin)

See where i am going with this...he fights just as often as everyone else.

Thread Information