Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dana White regrets having Leben-Brunson open UFC 155's main card

  1. Default Dana White regrets having Leben-Brunson open UFC 155's main card

    White regrets having Leben-Brunson open UFC 155's main card | News



    LAS VEGAS – MMA fans love to play matchmaker and they love to decide where fights should be slotted on cards.

    Sometimes, they might just be right. For instance, at UFC 155, fans on social media made a push for a bantamweight bout between Eddie Wineland and Brad Pickett to be on the main card instead of the closing bout on the FX-televised prelims.

    Instead, a middleweight fight between Chris Leben and Derek Brunson opened the pay-per-view, and UFC President Dana White said after the fight he regrets that decision.

    UFC 155 took place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Brunson (10-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) beat Leben (22-9 MMA, 12-8 UFC) by unanimous decision to open the main card.

    "I love Chris Leben, personally and professionally," White said at the show's post-event news conference. "But tonight, I think I made a mistake putting him on the pay-per-view. I should have had him on the undercard. He's been off with personal problems for a while. He's had a lot of time off, and he looked slow tonight. I wasn't crazy about that fight. That wasn't my favorite fight of the night, that's for damn sure."
    Leben returned after a yearlong suspension for violating the UFC's drug policy. And while some cage rust may be to blame, White wasn't thrilled with Strikeforce crossover middleweight Brunson, either, who was making his UFC debut.

    "The other kid was looking at the clock like he was a 14-year-old waiting for school to get out the entire fight – looking at the clock," White said. "You're in the UFC your first time, and I wasn't very impressed."
    White said another plan was in place for the pay-per-view's first fight. The original Leben matchup was against Karlos Vemola, who had to pull out with an injury. But he remained the pay-per-view's opener after Brunson came on as the replacement while a pair of "Fight of the Night" contenders in Wineland-Pickett and Jamie Varner vs. Melvin Guillard had spots on the FX preliminary card.

    "There was another fight that was starting the show, and I switched it," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "Believe me, (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva ran over and let me know he told me that. And he was right. Joe, you're smart, I'm dumb – I get it."
    Despite Leben's loss in his return, and despite being less than thrilled with the fight as a whole, White said he and the UFC will continue to cast his support behind Leben, who twice has been suspended by the promotion for drug violations.

    "Chris Leben loves to fight – there's no doubt about that," he said. "The biggest challenge in Chris Leben's life is battling his demons. We try to help him as much as we can. I love the kid."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Point-fighting grapplers are boring when they are not looking for a finish or inflict damage only hold position and blanket.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,524

    Default

    Why exactly is he defending him so damn much??
    He is going to keep him in the roster only because he is an alcoholic and he needs help???

    Both he and Brunson should be cut after the performance they showed. At some point it looked like 2 ripped guys that trained very hard for 2 hours, they were exhausetd, and then they were told to do a very light sparring.

    And Brunson looked pathetic when he was screaming all excited after the fight. Ok, he was happy that he won, but at least have a bit of dignity for God's sake. After a performance like that there was nothing to be so excited about.
    He is a professional fighter, gives the performance of an amateur against a guy that also looked horrible, and he goes and screams as if he just did the fight of the night??
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Dana White is defending Leben because he has an established brand in the UFC. Duh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Why exactly is he defending him so damn much??
    He is going to keep him in the roster only because he is an alcoholic and he needs help???

    Both he and Brunson should be cut after the performance they showed. At some point it looked like 2 ripped guys that trained very hard for 2 hours, they were exhausetd, and then they were told to do a very light sparring.

    And Brunson looked pathetic when he was screaming all excited after the fight. Ok, he was happy that he won, but at least have a bit of dignity for God's sake. After a performance like that there was nothing to be so excited about.
    He is a professional fighter, gives the performance of an amateur against a guy that also looked horrible, and he goes and screams as if he just did the fight of the night??
    Cut a guy who's taken two fights in two weeks and puts on nothing but exciting fights, all for one bad performance after a year layoff coming back from drug addiction and against an opponent who didn't want to fight?

    I think its time for you to log off.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    I agree with Rogan 100%. Most exciting part of the fight was after when Leben went to shake hands and Brunson fell backwards and laid there and Leben just stared for a sec, shook his head, and walked away LOL


  7. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpslappd View Post
    I agree with Rogan 100%. Most exciting part of the fight was after when Leben went to shake hands and Brunson fell backwards and laid there and Leben just stared for a sec, shook his head, and walked away LOL
    It was quite true. I was saying what a dick Brunson was and how hilarious Leben's reaction was.

    I didn't hear Rogan and Anik's commentary in its entirety due to the background noise but that comment made me laugh.

    What I would say though is that the best part of Rogan and Anik's commentary was right there, it was downhill from there.

  8. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    i said this to a friend last night, after a quip about the post-fight drug testing.

    leben will actually save face if he tests positive for heroin after that performance last night. at least it would explain why he was lethargic as kurt cobain circa 2001 and slower than crucifixion
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews


  9. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Cut a guy who's taken two fights in two weeks and puts on nothing but exciting fights, all for one bad performance after a year layoff coming back from drug addiction and against an opponent who didn't want to fight?

    I think its time for you to log off.
    Ok in 2010 he fought 2 times in 2 weeks and now because of that he is untouchable??
    He is not the only fighter in the history of sports who has done that. Jon Jones has fought 3 times in 12 days.
    Hell, there have been guys that have fought 3 different opponents in one night!! And here you say that 'HE FOUGHT 2 TIMES IN 2 WEEKS!!!!'

    All exciting fights??? Some of them are exciting, but others are more of "Either he gets an early KO victory, either he gets dominated and finished"

    He is 1-3 in his last 4. He has tested positive. He looked terrible yesterday. Plenty of guys get cut after that you know??
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •