Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort Can Only Play Spoiler at UFC on FX 7, Wonít Earn Title Shot

1. Default Vitor Belfort Can Only Play Spoiler at UFC on FX 7, Wonít Earn Title Shot

Vitor Belfort Can Only Play Spoiler at UFC on FX 7, Won't Earn Title Shot with Win Over Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

If Michael Bisping can beat Vitor Belfort in the main event at UFC on FX 7, then he has done more than enough to earn a shot at Anderson Silva and the UFC middleweight title.

Thatís according to UFC president Dana White, who confirmed that Bisping is next in line for the long reigning champion should he win in Brazil in January.

Bisping has long lingered near the top of the 185-pound division, but not quite attained his goal of getting a crack at the title.

That long sought after moment could just be 25 minutes away if he can beat Belfort at UFC on FX 7 in Brazil, but White knows thatís no easy task. Beating Belfort is easier said than done, but if Bisping does it then the title shot should absolutely go to him.

ďIf Bisping can beat Belfort, thatís a tough fight for Mike. He deserves a shot at Anderson,Ē White confirmed on Saturday night.
    The same canít be said for Vitor Belfort unfortunately.

Silva knocked out Belfort at UFC 126 with a devastating front kick just past the midway point of the first round.

ďAndersonís at this point where that fight was so one-sided and so fast and so decisive, itís tough to throw Vitor right back in there. Especially when youíre dealing with Anderson, Andersonís gonna want to fight new guys and new challenges,Ē White confirmed.
    Itís a tough spot for Belfort, who, at 35 years of age, has to know the clock is ticking on him ever getting another shot at the middleweight belt, much less while Anderson Silva still sits atop the division.

If thereís a consolation prize, itís the fact that Belfort can play spoiler in a big way should he defeat Bisping at UFC on FX 7. It would send the promotion on the hunt for the next potential contender to face Silva in 2013.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

In my opinion Vitor deserves another shot. Yes, he definitely lost and it was decisive, but anyone can get caught. Just ask Cain Velasquez who got second shot that he dominated.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

in b4 Anderson is ducking Vitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trustym2 View Post
    In my opinion Vitor deserves another shot. Yes, he definitely lost and it was decisive, but anyone can get caught. Just ask Cain Velasquez who got second shot that he dominated.
    Exactly my thoughts, and I still think Vitor has the best chance of anybody at 185 of beating Anderson.

rob_bills Guest

To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about Belfort right now. I still feel like he would get KO'd again by Silva.

I say if he gets past Bisping then he should fight Weidman for a number one contender bout. I still feel like Weidman needs one more fight, Belfort would be a perfect test.

If he beats Vitor, Bisping is the legit #1 contender.

Chris W. is injured and even if he wasn't, a solid win over Vitor is much more credible than any of Chris's wins, and/or all of them combined. (how long is he out btw?)
    Tim B. just lost proving, just as I thought, he is absolutely not a contender.
    Belcher just lost to Okami...
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post

I say if he gets past Bisping then he should fight Weidman for a number one contender bout. I still feel like Weidman needs one more fight, Belfort would be a perfect test.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

If he beats Vitor, Bisping is the legit #1 contender
    I couldn't disagree more.

So losing to Sonnen, then beating Brian Stann and Vitor makes you a legit #1?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I would have no interest in anderson/vitor II. Sure cain got another cack but cain was also undefeated, not to mention he was champion. Like dana said, anderson's days/fights are numbered and prolly wouldnt be too interested in that either tbh.

Maybe if vitor strung together a five-six fight streak jim miller style.

Thread Information