Thread: Video: Mirko Cro Cop Earns Submission Win in MMA Return

Default Video: Mirko Cro Cop Earns Submission Win in MMA Return

Mirko Cro Cop left the UFC after his third consecutive loss by way of knockout, it was widely assumed that the then-37-year-old had competed for the last time in his MMA career.

The PRIDE megastar did step away from MMA, but he would not retire from combat sports. In March, the Croatian returned to the world of kickboxing with a unanimous decision win against Ray Sefo. He finished up the year with another pair of victories before deciding that he wanted another MMA bout.

Back in August, I expanded on an interview that Cro Cop did with USA Today. He discussed the incorrect assumption that people made about his fighting career after parting ways with the UFC

"Concerning my retirement from the UFC, I said it was my last fight for the UFC and last fight on the present contract, but I did not say, 'I won't keep fighting,' " Filipovic (Cro Cop) said. "I never said that. I think the best thing to say is that I was born to fight."

At that point, the Croatian was preparing for his third kickboxing bout of the year and predicted that he would dip his toe back into the MMA pool shortly afterwards.

On New Years Eve, Cro Cop took on Shinichi Suzukawa, a former sumo wrestler who was making his professional debut. As would be expected in a contest between a legend and someone who possessed zero MMA experience, the former title contender made quick work of his opponent.

It's nice to see Cro Cop fighting again, especially in bouts where he likely won't take any concussive blows.

Cro Cop is already booked for another kickboxing contest in March. Although no announcement has been made about an opponent, Mirko has shown interest in a bout with Gokhan Saki.

Liverkick.com has linked Cro Cop to two more MMA contests in 2012. Negotiations are ongoing for a February 15 bout against UFC veteran Dennis Stojinic. That bout would take place in Bosnia. Additionally, Pedro Rizzo is signed up to fight Cro Cop at Royal FC in May.
    Video: Mirko Cro Cop Earns Submission Win in MMA Return | Bleacher Report

It's good to see him back and all, but beating a guy who was kicked out of the sport of sumo and making is MMA debut really isn't all that impressive. I'll be much more intersted in seeing him fight Pedro Rizzo.
    Last edited by Fe1; 01-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Nice WWE style after the match psuedo attack. Cro Cop looking a little less jacked these days, getting old sucks...

You know you suck on the ground when Cro Cop arm bars you.

I seriously think some of the posters on this board would have put up a better "fight" than this opponent. I hate to see one of my heroes reducing themselves to this.

However, it is that competitive spirit which made them my heroes in the first place.... Flashback to Jordan not wearing a Bulls uniform. [shudders]
    Last edited by scolli7; 01-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.

ugh
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by scolli7 View Post
    I seriously think some of the posters on this board would have put up a better "fight" than this opponent. I hate to see one of my heroes reducing themselves to this.

However, it is that competitive spirit which made them my heroes in the first place.... Flashback to Jordan not wearing a Bulls uniform. [shudders]
    That sir was a sad sad sad moment in time.

awful.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Ehh, I dont mind seeing older guys fight bums. They probably aren't gonna be in the ufc again. If they enjoy fighting, let them fight lower competition.. It's better than watching them get knocked out 3 times in a row like chuck.

9. Default

When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Thread Information