Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cain Velasquez Delivers Record Setting Performance in Win over JDS

1. Default Cain Velasquez Delivers Record Setting Performance in Win over JDS

UFC 155: Cain Velasquez Delivers Record Setting Performance in Win over JDS | Bleacher Report

At UFC 155, Cain Velasquez famously gave Junior dos Santos the beating of a lifetime to recapture the UFC Heavyweight championship. According to a report from FightMetric, it was the most well-rounded beating in UFC history, as Velasquez became the first man in UFC history to score triple digits in the significant strikes department (111) and double digits in takedowns (11) in the same fight.

Considering that dos Santos went into the fight with the apparent possession of the best boxing skills in all of mixed martial arts, it's shocking to many that he could be on the receiving end of such a record breaking performance.

Prior to the contest, the UFC presented another statistic that makes this record hard to believe. In all of his previous UFC bouts combined, Junior dos Santos had only spent a total of 13 seconds on his back.

The closest that any fighter had come to achieving this feat was at UFC 141 when Jimy Hettes dominated Nam Phan. Although it was only a three round fight, Hettes matched the wrestling output of Cain by scoring 11 takedowns, but only recording 81 significant strikes.

Despite the devastating loss, the former champion is anxious to get back into the cage with Velasquez for an inevitable rubber match.

"I won the first and he had a rematch. Now I lost and I want my rematch. I'm saying I want this fight. I'll get my belt."
    "Cigano" is going to need a major win before getting another crack at the title, as there are a pair of potential contenders blocking his path. If Alistair Overeem or Fabricio Werdum are successful in their next bouts (against Bigfoot Silva and Big Nog, respectively), they will most certainly be ahead of him in the pecking order.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

2. Default

You say others are ahead of him RJ what pecking order does the UFC use these day honestly. I agree with ya he has others infront of him right now.

After first glace I almost wanted to go check what the highest number of TDs GSP has ever landed in a fight.....then I started thinking, While what Cain did was very impressive, It could also be noted that JDS got up a shit load of times. And the reason a guy like GSP doesnt get 11 TDs in a 5 round fight is because once he takes his opponents down they stay down for much longer.

As far as who gets the next title shot, im not too concerned about it, theres lots of interesting matchups with both JDS and Cain.

If Ao wins, he probably gets the next shot.
    If BF wins, then JDS/Bf sounds good.

I Werdum wins, and AO losses, I could see Werdum getting the next shot.
    Then we'll get JDS/AO.

Theres lots of matchups to be made at HW with only BF/Cain2 and JDS/Nog not happening anytime soon.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

"Cigano" is going to need a major win before getting another crack at the title, as there are a pair of potential contenders blocking his path. If Alistair Overeem or Fabricio Werdum are successful in their next bouts (against Bigfoot Silva and Big Nog, respectively), they will most certainly be ahead of him in the pecking order.
    Junior dos Santos doesn't deserve an immediate rematch anyways. Enough with the immediate rematches already. I understand having them, in moderation, when a title fight is really close, but it wasn't. He got beat bad. I'm sure he'll have no problem getting at least another win or 2, and earning a rematch (or a fight for the title rather).

Im thinking that jds should fight overeem next win or lose
    SAY WHAT?:headscratch:

I'd really hate to be Jds's next opponent lol.

First heavyweight in the history of the UFC to score a triple-double?

8. Default

Let's not forget that the winner of Struve vs Hunt is in serious title talks.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by LefthookStcrook View Post
    After first glace I almost wanted to go check what the highest number of TDs GSP has ever landed in a fight.....then I started thinking, While what Cain did was very impressive, It could also be noted that JDS got up a shit load of times. And the reason a guy like GSP doesnt get 11 TDs in a 5 round fight is because once he takes his opponents down they stay down for much longer.
    I think Cain was letting JDS up. This causes JDS to use his own energy every time he tried to get up, and once Cain has him on the fence, down he goes again, and this process gets repeated round after round.

As for GSP and his takedowns, the reason he lasts longer on the ground is because he usually tries to end up in guard. Then it takes one or two minutes to pass guard. With Cain, he takes someone down so he ends up in side control or on someone's back. Another key difference is that GSP fights more explosive fighters that can burst out in later rounds and in the heavyweight division, if it's in the second or later rounds, the HW's energy is probably shot by then..

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Let's not forget that the winner of Struve vs Hunt is in serious title talks.
    I was about to add that before I saw this, the winner of this fight possibly catapults them into top 5

Thread Information