Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Fitch not expecting 2013 title shot, finding motivation in money,love of fighting

1. Default Jon Fitch not expecting 2013 title shot, finding motivation in money,love of fighting

Jon Fitch not expecting 2013 title shot, finding motivation in money, love of fighting - Bloody Elbow

It's hard to remember a time when Jon Fitch wasn't a top ten welterweight. After years and years spent ranked #2 behind Georges St. Pierre, Fitch was knocked out by Johny Hendricks at UFC 141. Having rebounded from that loss with a highly entertaining win over Erick Silva at UFC 153 this past October, Fitch is back on the winning track and still sees his name at the top end of the 170 pound rankings.

Even so, Jon isn't expecting a second shot at the welterweight title -- Fitch lost to GSP in August of 2008 -- to come in the new year:

"I think a shake-up could have happened if Johny Hendricks would have gotten the title shot," Fitch told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "I think right now it looks like 'GSP' will probably defeat Diaz. The way it looks, I think there's a strong possibility the fight after that will probably be Marquardt just because it's champion vs. champion."
    But Fitch seems to have come to view his career differently, to where not getting that shot soon is not going to cause him too much stress:

"I think one of the mistakes I made in the past was thinking about what this next fight is going to bring me rather than just focusing on the fight, itself," Fitch admitted. "Throw all of my attention, all my energy, into one fight at a time and make sure I get the most out of that one fight. I think that showed. When I do that, that's what happened in the last fight. If I continue that process, it's going to be a lot more great fights like that."

"This is a big thing. I need the money. I need the fight. I need to perform, and I love what I do. The motivation is that in itself."
    Fitch's label as a "boring fighter" for many years kept him away from a second shot at GSP, but if he turns in more performances like the one against Silva, it isn't hard to see him getting another chance to become champion.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Best bet for Fitch: Win a couple more exciting fights, maybe even finish one of them. Diaz upsets GSP, maybe Fitch can get a shot then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

fitch shouldnt be expecting a title shot n 2013,2014,2015,2016, etc as long as GSP holds the WW title.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

I think if he keeps fighting and winning like he did against Silva, he could get one.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Best bet for Fitch: Win a couple more exciting fights, maybe even finish one of them. Diaz upsets GSP, maybe Fitch can get a shot then.
    ...And who knows, maybe Fitch will start to trash talk a little, too, so he can really get the "most out of each fight", and pay some bills along the way.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    fitch shouldnt be expecting a title shot n 2013,2014,2015,2016, etc as long as GSP holds the WW title.
    It's been long enough i'm down for a rematch especially if he looks the same in his next couple fights.

well realisitically who has challenged gsp for the title twice, no one i can think of, kos and bj have fought and lost twice, and hughes 1-2 against gsp overall if gsp keeps retaining and fitch keeps winning impressively i cant see anyone more deserving of a rematch. who knows maybe the desire for money including bonuses will sprout a better more exciting jon fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    It's been long enough i'm down for a rematch especially if he looks the same in his next couple fights.

EDIT: Fitch after the GSP fight;

Last edited by BonesKnows; 01-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

I'm not sure if he would get a title fight even if he beat Hendricks. Dana doesn't like him. I personally don't like Fitch as he's a boring fighter but if he should be right in the thick of things for a title shot. It's been over 4 years since he's fought GSP.

Brown Pride

Thread Information