Thread: Todd Duffee: Time Away From UFC Hurt Development, But Itís a Relief To Return

1. Default Todd Duffee: Time Away From UFC Hurt Development, But Itís a Relief To Return

Todd Duffee: Time Away from UFC Hurt Development, But It

After more than two and a half years away from the UFC, Todd Duffee was relieved to get back in the Octagon and score a win Dec. 29 at UFC 155.

The 27-year-old heavyweight stopped Philip De Fries with punches 2:04 into the first round.

ďItís a big relief,Ē Duffee told the Sherdog Radio Networkís ďBeatdownĒ show. ďI can actually kind of relax for the fact that all I have to worry about now is training and fighting. I donít have to be sitting on the phone trying to figure out when can I get a fight.Ē
    Duffee debuted in the UFC with a seven-second knockout of Tim Hague in August 2009. However, he was released after a loss to Mike Russow and struggled to get fights outside of the promotion.

ďThe big thing, I think, [about] this time away was it hurt my development,Ē Duffee said. ďI think I could have improved a lot more in the last two years had I not been dealing with some of the situations I had.Ē
    Duffee was 1-1 in his time outside of the UFC, losing via knockout to Alistair Overeem before stopping Neil Grove. His inability to stay active caused him to consider retirement.

ďI was at the point financially that the efforts I was putting in, it wasnít paying off,Ē Duffee said. ďIt didnít make a lot of sense. You start feeling stupid after a certain amount of time, like how delusional am I? But it did pay off, and Iím excited that Iíve got things back on track.Ē
    Not only is Duffee back in the UFC, he has settled at one of the premier training camps in MMA: American Kickboxing Academy. There, he trains alongside UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and also Daniel Cormier, among others.

ďI think wrestlingís a huge part of the sport, and thatís what Iíve always kind of been chasing, to get that kind of training, and Iím getting it,Ē Duffee said. ďObviously [AKA] is going to help me there. Itís going to help me everywhere. Itís a good camp, and the best thing about it is theyíve got great bodies in there to work with and we all work together really well.Ē
    Duffee sees himself sticking with AKA, and though he once considered retirement, he sees himself fighting for some time as well.

ďIn my career itís been pretty evident that Iíve seen some of the absolute highs of the highs of this sport and Iíve also seen some of the lows of the lows,Ē he said. ďThatís everybody in this sport. If they stick around long enough and they really stick through it, that stuffís going to happen. To sum it up, itís been a roller coaster, but Iíve still found a way to really truly enjoy it.Ē
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

UFC has some real heavy hitters in the HW division.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Duffee's smug smile irritates me, but I'll still be tuning in to watch him fight. There's some awesome fights in the division for this dude - Big Country, Werdum, Struve, JDS would all make for some nail-biting match-ups if he can get another impressive win or two under his belt.

I say give Duffee Barnett (assuming he beats Guelmino), that'd be once hell of a fight, and I'd have to take Barnett by sub.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information