Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated: UFC contract for Eddie Alvarez grants immediate title shot and PPV points

Default Updated: UFC contract for Eddie Alvarez grants immediate title shot and PPV points

Updated: UFC contract for Eddie Alvarez grants immediate title shot and PPV points
    By Chris Hall on Jan 9, 9:30p

New information on the contract offered to Eddie Alvarez reveals that the lightweight was offered a March championship fight for his UFC debut as well as a portion of the PPV revenue.

Former Bellator Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez revealed Monday afternoon that he was facing a lawsuit from the promotion. Alvarez had received an offer from the UFC at the beginning of December. Bellator chose to exercise their contractual matching rights to retain Eddie's services. Eddie refused to sign the BFC contract on the grounds that it did not truly match the UFC's offer. He was served with a lawsuit for his decision

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney explained later that his company did in fact match the UFC's offer. He emphasized that they literally took the contract and replaced "UFC" with "Bellator" to make sure they matched every provision word for word. He also revealed that the contract guaranteed Alvarez $70K to show and $70 to win per fight with incremental increases for each win. It also included a $250K signing bonus, all of which he and Bellator are more than happy to match.

Wednesday evening, MMA Junkie reported more information about the contract:

An eight-fight deal starts Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez is also guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC pay-per-view broadcast, the offer entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.

The exhibit confirms a previous claim from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that his promotion merely changed window dressings on the UFC's offer. Mentions of UFC parent company Zuffa are simply crossed out and replaced with Bellator.

It also shows Bellator offered three additional bonuses to Alvarez when Bellator decided to match the UFC's offer. Included was a $25,000 payout for participating in a behind-the-scenes show filmed by Bellator broadcast partner Spike TV, a $100,000 payout for a head coach position on the second season of Bellator's reality show, and a guest host spot on Spike TV's "Road to the Championship" program.

So, as Rebney stated the deals match on paper with some additional bonuses added by Bellator. However, it's also easy to see why Alvarez feels that the Bellator offer falls short of the mark set by the UFC. We'll have to wait for the courts to decide who's right as both parties have filed suits against each other.

UPDATE: From Steve Marrocco of MMA Junkie:

Steven Marrocco@MMAjunkieSteven

Update forthcoming to story on Eddie Alvarez's contract: UFC contract reads that it INTENDS to give him title shot and offers PPV points.

Updated: UFC contract for Eddie Alvarez grants immediate title shot and PPV points - Bloody Elbow
    I've been reading about this on Twitter all night and the news is pretty interesting and changing by the minute. Thought it'd be great discussion fodder.

Yeah, I'm sure Bellator matched that. I'm almost ready to replace "fucking Jon Jones" with "fucking Bjorn Rebney"

If both him and Gilbert Melendez are guaranteed immediate title shots it'll be interesting to see how they decide who gets the first crack at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure Bellator matched that. I'm almost ready to replace "fucking Jon Jones" with "fucking Bjorn Rebney"

If both him and Gilbert Melendez are guaranteed immediate title shots it'll be interesting to see how they decide who gets the first crack at it.
    I would think at this point Gil will get first crack at it either way he's free and ready to fight now. This stuff with Alvarez could take a while to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I would think at this point Gil will get first crack at it either way he's free and ready to fight now. This stuff with Alvarez could take a while to sort out.
    Good point, even though I'd still rather see Melendez at 145.

Quite honestly, I can't see this taking too long. I don't see any way in hell that Rebney could have possibly matched that offer and as soon as it goes to court the judge will know it's bullshit.

I think Alvarez has a great shot against Henderson if he gets an immediate title shot...

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

It feels like to me that Eddie wants to go to the UFC extremely bad but Bellator is doing everything in its power to keep him. That said, "Holy shit the UFC offered alot of things for Eddie to come over."

I would definitely like to see Eddie beat ONE contender in the UFC before getting a shot at Henderson.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    I would definitely like to see Eddie beat ONE contender in the UFC before getting a shot at Henderson.
    Shinya Aoki anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Shinya Aoki anyone?
    Omg yes! I've been saying for years now that I'd love to see him in the UFC. I think a rubber match would be awesome to see but I don't think I'd enjoy seein Aoki get destroyed in his first UFC fight.

Anybody remember Eddie's last BFC bout in Windsor against Patricky? As I was watching him freaking out in happiness and joy post-fight, running up and down the aisles in "I'm going to Disneyland" Aldo style, I kept thinking, "Man, Eddie is really fucking happy that he can finally go to the UFC and make bank"....

Then I started wondering just how hard Bjorn was going to fight to keep him and from that, exactly WHY the hell would he, if Eddie so clearly is ready to get outta Dodge and get to the UFC? I mean, I think it is pretty clear that Eddie wants to fight in the UFC and all Bjorn is doing is trying to stick it to him, as he does with nearly every fighter who strays(just look at the Tyson Nam situation). Also, since BFC and Bjorn were unwilling to grant Eddie an immediate rematch against Chandler so not to compromise the integrity of the tourney format, I think that really rubbed Eddie the wrong way when it comes to deciding his future.

My only real critique of Eddie, is to question exactly why he allowed for this bidding war in which BFC could match? I mean, Vinny M was so fucking afraid of being locked down by M1, he just chose to sit out and wait. Maybe this would've been the best alternative for Eddie? Although it looks like he'll be making bank with this deal regardless, but I fear this is going to get messy.

Thread Information