Thread: Edgar on Weight Cut, Jose Aldo, and Chance of Becoming Two-Division UFC Champion

Default Edgar on Weight Cut, Jose Aldo, and Chance of Becoming Two-Division UFC Champion

Frankie Edgar on Weight Cut, Jose Aldo, and Chance of Becoming Two-Division UFC Champion MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

On the weight cut for his first fight at 145 pound:

Itís been pretty much just positive. When I was at 155, I was forcing myself to eat more and lift a little heavy to try to put on size. Now itís more natural. I feel like my conditioningís better. Iím actually a little quicker. Itís just a little less stressful. I donít have to worry about eating like every 2 hours.

Edgar was also asked about what problems Aldo will present and how heís prepared and game planned for such an explosive fighter:

Heís one of the most dynamic strikers we have. Heís very athletic and explosive compared to some of the guys I fought at 155. He has a lot of tools. Especially in his striking. Weíve seen heís got great takedowns and takedown defense. I canít point out just one thing that would definitely win it for me because I definitely think heís well rounded. He executes the leg kick very well. Weíve addressed that in this camp and Iím as ready as I can be for him. Iím ready to stand with him. Iím ready to test the waters for the takedown. I come from a wrestling background. There hasnít been anybody I havenít been able to takedown yet, so Iím gonna go out there and go for some takedowns.

Edgar was also asked about how adding Edson Barboza to his training camp has helped him prepare for Aldo:

Edsonís been a big piece of this camp and a great new teammate. His Muay Thai, it doesnít get any better than that. Heís a little bigger, too, heís got great takedown defense as well. Him, along with one of his old training partners Marlon Moraes (Iíve been) doing round robins with them on a daily basis. Theyíve got me more than ready.

And finally Edgar touched on what it would mean to be a two-division UFC Champion:

Itís never really been done except by Randy Couture and B.J. Penn and theyíre legends in our sport. So to be mentioned with guys like that, it kinda speaks for itself. Iím not trying to look for it just by itself. Iím just focused on my next fight. If I win my next fight it takes care of everything.

Really hope Edgar comes in and pulls off the upset. Always been a fan of his, it would be nice to just shut all his haters up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Really hope Edgar comes in and pulls off the upset. Always been a fan of his, it would be nice to just shut all his haters up.
    Yeah i hope Edgar wins too. Not that i have anything against Aldo or even particularly like Edgar, i'm just interested to see if he can pull off his counter striking against a guy like Aldo
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Renzo, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Cro Cop, Cormier, Te Huna, Maia, Mousasi

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Upset?? pffftt Aldo is screwed!

Edgar touched on what it would mean to be a two-division UFC Champion: "It’s never really been done except by Randy Couture and B.J. Penn"
    Pfft. Hendo gets no love. Two-division Pride Champion is just as badass; if not moreso.

I on the other hand, would love to see Aldo man handle him. WAR ALDO!

Thread Information