+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joey Beltran and Rousimar Palhares Both Suspended for Failed Drug Tests at UFC on FX

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    While I don't disagree that in the end run skill takes precedent over muscle and weight cutting. I think it's a little to easy to point at the guys who have lost and got caught but think people don't win on PED's at the same time. I personally don't have any doubts about Overeem using in the past and his actions prior to the Lesnar match which he won certainly point to PED use.

I think for me the biggest problem with PED use being accepted is that it forces the guys that don't want to use it to feel like they have to because everyone else does. Long term health effects being a risk is not something anyone should have to risk for entertainment to the masses.

And just for arguments sake what happens in a fight where both guys are equally skilled but one is using PED's and the other isn't ?
    Honestly i would give the edge to the person not taking PEDs. IMO the mental aspect of fighting plays a huge role. If you can mentally beat your opponent before and/or during a fight then you've already won (most of the time). If the person you are fighting is taking PEDs imo that is a sign of not mentally being there because for some reason or another they are taking it because they feel like they need an advantage leading up to the fight. If you dont believe in your own skills and abillities enough to do it naturally how can you be confident in them when it comes down to the actual fight when its just you and him in the octagon?

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Honestly i would give the edge to the person not taking PEDs. IMO the mental aspect of fighting plays a huge role. If you can mentally beat your opponent before and/or during a fight then you've already won (most of the time). If the person you are fighting is taking PEDs imo that is a sign of not mentally being there because for some reason or another they are taking it because they feel like they need an advantage leading up to the fight. If you dont believe in your own skills and abillities enough to do it naturally how can you be confident in them when it comes down to the actual fight when its just you and him in the octagon?
    Um... no.

Lance Armstrong had no advantage over the rest of the cyclers?

No additional red blood cells? No extra stamina due to optimized metabolism? Do you know what EPO does?

You're saying that someone takes PEDs because they are not confident in their skills and that confidence goes hand in hand with victory.

That is not always the case.

Sorry but the fact remains that the PED user will most of the time have an advantage be it in strength or stamina, even skill can not overcome that advantage every time.

Mental strength and fight IQ does not always beat brute strength, nor would it beat chemically-altered strength more than half the time.

UFC's Rousimar Palhares denies using banned substance but accepts suspension

UFC's Rousimar Palhares denies using banned substance but accepts suspension | News
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

4. 01-12-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

UFC's Rousimar Palhares denies using banned substance but accepts suspension | News
    I didn't do it, but I will take any suspension you give me.

-The Simple Jack of BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Ok then to simplify it more say they have the exact same mental make up as well as tin ring talent? Cause personally I would include mental fortitude as part of skill set.

The point kind of being that at some level steroids/peds are going to give you an advantage or someone that isn't using them. While I don't disagree some may use because they are unsure of themselves. I would however venture to say the vast majority of people willing to step into the cage to fight aren't lacking in confidence and are just looking to exploit whatever advantage they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Doesn't admit any guilt and barely misses anytime seen as he's out for a while anyways with a broken foot. It's no wonder guys aren't afraid of being caught the systems in place is way to lenient.

Rousimar Palhares' Team Investigating His Failed Drug Test
    Rousimar Palhares' Team Investigating His Failed Drug Test - FightLine.com

"I was very surprised because we knew he would be tested and this was the second most important fight," said Bustamante to TATAME. "He told me he did not take anything. He was taking supplements and we will test all these products to know what happened. "

* Yeah, yeah, how original.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information