Thread: Iole calls for new PED testing precedent

Default Iole calls for new PED testing precedent

Iole calls for new PED testing precedent

Close to a year ago, UFC heavyweight contender Overeem famously failed a surprise test for performance enhancing drugs administed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). It was administered immediately before a news conference announcing a title fight with then UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos.

Yahoo's Kevin Iole says the example of Alistair Overeem presents an opportunity for a new precedent in mixed martial arts when a fighter tests positive for PEDs.

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the NSAC, deserves a huge amount of credit not only for ordering the random test that caught Overeem but then for subsequently testing Overeem repeatedly during his commission-imposed suspension.

Overeem was testing himself throughout his nine-month suspension and forwarding the results to Kizer and the commission. This is where Kizer made a brilliant move.

On several occasions, shortly after Overeem had voluntarily submitted a blood and urine sample to prove his innocence, Kizer ordered him to submit to another test. An athlete who uses PEDs will often use them right after he or she has passed a drug test. The thinking is that they'll be clear for a while and can cheat with impunity.

Overeem passed all of the tests. He rightfully was given his license by the commission on Tuesday via a unanimous vote.

Overeem will be tested rigorously by the NSAC for as long as he fights in the state. Hopefully, other state athletic commissions will do the same and put Overeem through a rigorous testing process that includes unannounced tests.

A precedent should be set. Overeem, and every fighter who tests positive for PEDs in the future, should have to do the same thing:

Commissions that consider licensing Overeem should require him to, at his own expense, submit to a carbon isotope ratio test that would be administered randomly during his training camp. The CIR test, which is the only foolproof way to catch usage of synthetic testosterone, is expensive, going for $450-$600 a test.

If they can't afford to pay for the tests, then they don't fight – a hefty price to pay, but safety dictates an abundance of caution.
    Iole calls for new PED testing precedent - Mixed Martial Arts News
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Meh.

Commissions need to set up protocols rather than just dropping random demands for tests. I'd be for enforcing tests for prior substance offenders, if it was across the board.

I saw someone suggest this and was wondering if it would be unrealistic to have a fighter subject to olympic style testing for the rest of their contract with the organization they test positive in. So in AO's case he would be subject to random olympic style testing the rest of the time in the UFC.

That would set a precedent. (unless that is what a CIR Test is, im not very educated in the PED area)

I wonder if buying a good health care plan would cover these tests? My plan covers all "diagnostic" testing for free......might be cheaper for him to buy a little rinky dink health care plan and let them cover the tests....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I know in professional sports (MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL) the costs of that testing is covered by the owners. Maybe the UFC needs to look at that. If the fighter tests positive he/she has to cover the costs of all the tests up to that point and is fined a certain amount or released.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

One thing that the UFC and athletic commissions isn't testing on, but SHOULD, is GW-1516.

I'm willing to bet at least half are on it while fighting. No testing done right now to find it. The IOC is will be starting to test for it as they believe athletes in the 2008 Beijing Olympics were on it but it wasn't a banned substance then, thus, they couldn't do anything about it....

Thread Information