Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Pick'ems Standings

1. Default

does the "average" score apply to your own average score per event, or the average score for the event missed/replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    does the "average" score apply to your own average score per event, or the average score for the event missed/replaced?
    Your average score per event is what I'm calling it, but it's actually both (your average, and the event average). What I intend to do is:

Find your average score per event.
    Find everyone else's average score per event.
    Figure out where you fall in that distribution and acquire your standard deviation (SD).

Find the average score of the event a person missed.
    Plot your SD from the first distribution into the new distribution
    Determine your score for that event.

That's the fairest way to score missed events, because it's representative of your average and the average of that card; it minimizes the effectiveness of 'strategic' pick skipping. It's also taking a lot of raw scores into account; so it should be both reliable and valid as a measure.

For credit redemption at year end when you've missed no events; it'll simply be your 1, or 2 (depending on credits) lowest scores brought up to your average.

I think the system really confers no benefit, except to keep people makin' picks.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 01-13-2013 at 05:22 PM.

3. Default

Finished last year at 11th and started this year at 11th. I,m domed on getting into and staying in the top ten.lol.

Updated. Kudos to W.Silva>C.Norris for pullin' off the W for the UFC on FX 7 event.

Ranked 18th. Not bad for my first time playing eh? Hell, I didn't even know there was a point system when I made my picks lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Ranked 18th. Not bad for my first time playing eh? Hell, I didn't even know there was a point system when I made my picks lol
    Keep in mind, you missed the first card, and you'll be awarded points for that, based on how you do all year; assuming you keep participating.

It's not sound math at this point, but you scored 21 on last night's card, where the average score was ~18.

So theoretically (and here's the unsound math due to a lack of data) you would have scored approximately 26 on the first card had you made picks; the average score was ~24.

That would have you at 47 points overall (if the pick'ems ended today), and tied for 7th place.

Keep at 'er.

Maybe around the middle of the year, I'll post people's actual scores with an adjusted floating hypothetical (hypothetical til year end) score that incorporates missed events (or lowest events if personal credits remain).

Ohhhh yeah

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Sorry ladies,

This past week was a 70 hour work week. I"ll have the scores updated tomorrow.

Thread Information