Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Strikeforce champ Gegard Mousasi says he has something to prove in UFC

Default Former Strikeforce champ Gegard Mousasi says he has something to prove in UFC

Former Strikeforce champ Gegard Mousasi says he has something to prove in UFC | News

"I talked to my manager (and) he spoke to (matchmaker) Joe Silva and the UFC," Mousasi told MMAjunkie.com. "I believe I'm headed to the UFC. I haven't been confirmed yet. I'm looking forward to keep busy in 2013 and I want to fight as much as possible. The bigger the name, the better."

Before Kyle, Mousasi hadn't fought since a December 2011 win over Ovince St. Preux. That was his third fight that calendar year, making him 2-0-1 thanks to a draw against Keith Jardine in a fight he was docked a point for an illegal upkick – a point that cost him a win.

Mousasi won Strikeforce's light heavyweight title in 2009. Less than a year later, in his first defense, he was dominated by Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and lost the title.

That fight, he says, still haunts him – thanks to the rest of the world not being able to forget about it, or forgive him the loss. And because of that, it may wind up helping serve as motivation for his inevitable move to the UFC.

"I think people underestimate me," he said. "I lost one fight. I see some fighters lose horribly, getting knocked out, getting submitted. I lost one fight, and suddenly I hear a lot of fans talking that I'm not good."

Indeed, since August 2006, that loss to Lawal was his lone defeat. Akihiro Gono submitted him at PRIDE Busido 12. He won 20 of 22 fights after that with just the Lawal loss and Jardine draw keeping him from perfection.

And it's not like he was beating a collection of stiffs, either. Hector Lombard, Melvin Manhoef, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Mark Hunt and Renato "Babalu" Sobral all find their names on his victory resume.

So he had the loss to Lawal, and people started writing him off? Mousasi's got a plan for that.

"I'm looking forward to going to the UFC to fight these big names that people think are so good. I'm looking forward to that," he said. "For sure (I have something to prove). I stepped up my training and I feel very confident. We'll see how it goes, but I'm sure I'll do just fine."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Hell yes! I just hope he drops to middle weight. He would have amazingly exciting fights at 205, but I think if he wants to truly be successful, he needs to drop to the MW division.

he was dominated by Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and lost the title.
    Dominate? Not sure about that, but he looked good last night.

Wish they could switch Hendo to Jones (Hendo vs Machida scares me as a Hendo fan) and Mousassi to Machida.

Who would make for a good first fight for Mousassi? I know Shogun is coming off a loss, but that would be a great fight.

4. Default

Ryan Bader is the best choice I can think of in the 205 range that isnt booked.. well, him, or Vera

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Ryan Bader is the best choice I can think of in the 205 range that isnt booked.. well, him, or Vera
    I like that choice of Vera.

I also like Bader as well, b/c then we can see if he can handle a well rounded wrestler.

he would wreck bader, vera, janitor, etc, but if he wants a chance at the title, he'll have to drop to 185.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

He gets eaten alive by any top 7 opponent in the UFC LHW devision.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    He gets eaten alive by any top 7 opponent in the UFC LHW devision.
    Eaten alive?
    Last edited by MIZjitsZOU; 01-13-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Id like to see him at MW... He already has wins over top10 guys like Lombard and Jacare...

Mousasi vs. Weidman
    Mousasi vs. Rockhold
    Mousasi vs. Bisping

Thread Information