Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Strikeforce champ Tarec Saffiedine ready to set new goals for UFC

Hybrid View

Default Final Strikeforce champ Tarec Saffiedine ready to set new goals for UFC

Final Strikeforce champ Tarec Saffiedine ready to set new goals for UFC | News

Saffiedine said his first goal was accomplished. But provided he moves over to the UFC, don't expect him to start asking for a quick title shot over there, too.

"It's not really my call," he said at the post-fight news conference for "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine, which took place at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. "I would love to fight for the (UFC) belt. But this belt was my goal first. Now I've reached my goal and I need to set new goals. I didn't think of what's next after this belt.

"I need to take a step back and think about what's next for my career. I haven't been approached by the UFC. Whatever's coming tomorrow, I'll be ready."

And ready was what he was for Marquardt, despite the long odds against him.

In fact, Saffiedine said also served as a push for him in training to get ready for a fight in which no one was given him much chance.

"It was definitely a motivation," he said. "I had other motivation. But I like to beat the odds. I trained really hard. I didn't really pay attention to the odds because it's MMA and anything can happen. Winning the belt was one of the biggest motivations for me."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) he's not certain what will happen with Saffiedine in the UFC, but believes he has a big future there.

"I think Nate and Tarec are both great fighters and they'll both be going over there," he said. "But where and when and who they fight really is up to (the UFC matchmakers). We really haven't had that conversation about when these guys will fight, when Gilbert (Melendez) will fight or when any of the other champions from Strikeforce will go over and fight. That conversation will probably happen in the next week or so. Right now, it's undetermined, so I really have no idea."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He's going to be a great addition to the welterweight division.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

YaWN

There's some very good fights for him imo. He seems to be steadily improving. He's got good striking defense and he controls distance nicely with his quick kicks, and his grappling seems pretty solid.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

He really impressed me last night. Nate is a tough fight for anyone. I'm really looking forward to what he can do in the UFC.

Favorite Fighters

Chuck Liddell|BJ Penn|Lyoto Machida|Kid Yamamoto|Urijah Faber|Dan Henderson|Daniel Cormier|Anthony Pettis

i was really really impressed last night by tarec and disappointed in nate he got dropped early and became timid

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I had a bruise that looked just like that once. Same place and everything. It wasn't a good time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I had a bruise that looked just like that once. Same place and everything. It wasn't a good time haha.
    How did you get it?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    How did you get it?
    Not like that, that's for sure haha. I was drunk a couple years back and I fell... Off of a railing that I thought it would be a good idea to walk on. I landed right on the back of my leg. I could barely walk (even after I sobered up) and it took a solid two months for it to go away completely. Suffice to say that it was not my proudest moment lol.

Thread Information