Thread: CEO Scott Coker looks back with pride after final Strikeforce card

Default CEO Scott Coker looks back with pride after final Strikeforce card

CEO Scott Coker looks back with pride after final Strikeforce card | News

"To me, it's something that's a bittersweet moment," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "But I had already accepted it in my mind that it was time and this was the last fight. Strikeforce had a great run, and I'm glad we're here with these fighters today to finish it and go off in a good light."

And a good light it indeed was. The Showtime-televised main card at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City featured four straight finishes, including three straight submissions to open the telecast. And in the main event, Tarec Saffiedine pulled off a sizable upset of Nate Marquardt to become the last welterweight champion in Strikeforce history.

During the fights themselves, Coker was more active in the world of social media than he ever has been, thanking Strikeforce behind-the-scenes players, fighters and Showtime officials throughout the card while also commenting on the last fights he would oversee as the promotion's boss.

He said the promotion's deal with Showtime several years back is what put it over the top to allow it to become the No. 2 promotion behind the UFC, which helped make it desirable to Zuffa to purchase to run alongside the UFC.

"It's an honor to watch these guys fight," he said. "I'm proud of what we accomplished. We had a great staff. But without Showtime, we just would've stayed as a regional promotion. I'm really thankful to them – they believed in us."

Now Coker will wait and see what comes next for him. This past week, he told MMAjunkie.com that he has a deal in place with Zuffa that he intends to honor, and that Zuffa intends to honor, though he didn't disclose just what the terms might be, saying only after the Strikeforce dust settles, he'll meet with Zuffa officials to see what is in mind for him.

Frank Shamrock on Strikeforce: 'We did the impossible'
    Frank Shamrock on Strikeforce: 'We did the impossible' - MMA Fighting

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thank god we don't have to listen to Frank commentate anymore.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Its sad its all over... I liked strikeforce...

The most important thing is seeing the best fight the best, so as long as the UFC picks up all the top fighters... ill be good...

still pissed fedor never came to the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Thank god we don't have to listen to Frank commentate anymore.
    Agree, but I wish the UFC would pick up Pat and Renallo, even if it was in a different role.

and lets not forget about good ole gus johnson.

Strikeforce was like a dependable car, not flashy, wasn't going to win any races. But after so many orgs broke down on the side of the highway, they just kept on going. Maybe showtime killed them, maybe a host of other problems did them in. But they gave it a good run and set up a good blue print in their early years for other orgs to follow. For years they did it right, consistency is one of the hardest things to achieve in any business. Growing a successful business takes risks. One bad decision or maybe just a few can sink any company. We look at the UFC as the #1 company, but lets be honest. They gambled many times with many decisions and almost folded, maybe more than once.

I think Coker was an easy whipping boy for many MMA fans, but in truth he did a hell of a job for many years just to get Strikeforce to the #2 spot in the North American market. You had many big players throwing around budgets that dwarfed strikeforce's budget and they didn't last nearly as long. So I gotta give credit where it's due. Good Job Scott, and good luck in the future.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Enjoy it while you can, Scotty.....I'll hold your spot at the unemployment office real soon.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information