Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tito wants Cyborg warm up fights at 135 before fighting Rousey

Default Tito wants Cyborg warm up fights at 135 before fighting Rousey

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ghting-Rousey/

UFC president Dana White said that the promotion would assist Santos in making the required cut to 135.

"She can get to this weight," said White. "We have an expert who can help you lose weight in a healthy way. We have Mike Dolce, who has wrestlers lose weight and still feel good and it's all about your diet. He is 100 percent ready to work with her and will not cost anything to Cris."

"Cyborg needs to get on the boat. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she'll have to fight this category of 135 pounds. The stupidest thing about it is that she has Tito Ortiz as his manager."

Now Tito says Cyborg can indeed make the cut to 135, but he wants her to have some warm up fights first.

"It's going to be tough (to cut to 135 pounds)," said Tito On Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "When she cuts to 145 pounds she's shredded. To cut another 10 pounds? I don't know. I've been cutting weight for almost 20 years, it's tough to do. To get another extra 10 pounds off at the same time? If Mike Dolce can do it in a healthy way, a healthy manner, and a doctor can prove it can happen the right way, let the fight happen. I want to see the fight, I know the fans want to see the fight, so let's make it happen."

"When I first signed her, the first thing she said to me was that, 'I cannot make 135 [pounds]. I walk around at 172 to 173 pounds. And for a woman to cut that much weight, and for "Cyborg" to be the champion as long as she has in her weight class, to cut down to that weight seems like a disadvantage to her. Maybe let's get her a couple of warm up fights at 135. In the very beginning, (the UFC) said cut down to 135 and you have two months to do it. I don't want to hurt my fighter and her future as champion. She is a champion, she still is a champion."

"Last year she got mixed up with a substance that one of her trainers turned her onto, but she has said it was her choice and her bad decision and she was willing to make that right claim. So, I'm going to put my name, my stamp on her to ensure that she'll never touch any of those things again and be the champion that she once was before."

"Ronda Rousey is a great champion, she has a great name. Her attitude has completely changed. I watched her at the awards and when the spotlight is on you shine a little harder than you think you do. It's fine. She's a woman who deserves all the championship attention she can find at this point because when she fights "Cyborg" she will no longer be champion."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-16-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

"Cyborg needs to get on the boat. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she'll have to fight this category of 135 pounds. The stupidest thing about it is that she has Tito Ortiz as his manager."

I knew it!

Every fighter who has to make a big weight cut should have a warm up fight.Let's then know if they are doing it right, ect. Don't want to have your big title fight and gas in two seconds

Holy shit, she walks around at 173? That is one ridiculously muscled lady. I think ONE warm up fight would make sense since it is her first time fighting at that weight, but more then that is just dragging it out.

Zombie is born!

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Holy shit, she walks around at 173? That is one ridiculously muscled lady. I think ONE warm up fight would make sense since it is her first time fighting at that weight, but more then that is just dragging it out.
    Im not even going to get stared up talking about "walk around weight" but if it is true, that she weighs 173 walking around in good shape with low body fat%, than she is a huge women.

I think it this would be a good fight but I definitely agree with a tune up fight for the borg.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Great now all they have to actually do is get women fighters under contract to say actually have a women's division with actual fights...

Zuffa/UFC has no business getting involved in the training end of things they should be leaving that to the individuals. Paying for selected people to get any assistance with diet and weight cutting doesn't really show them as being impartial. Of course it's not like they are exactly heading in the direction of being an impartial and fair in terms of matchmaking anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

Zuffa/UFC has no business getting involved in the training end of things they should be leaving that to the individuals. Paying for selected people to get any assistance with diet and weight cutting doesn't really show them as being impartial. Of course it's not like they are exactly heading in the direction of being an impartial and fair in terms of matchmaking anyways.
    This case I say they do. The division is so weak right now and Borg is the one fighter who you could make a strong case for the title shot. They either need to start lining up fighters to get a number one contender or get Borg to make the cut. Otherwise its limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Im not even going to get stared up talking about "walk around weight" but if it is true, that she weighs 173 walking around in good shape with low body fat%, than she is a huge women.
    I'm guessing she's around 15-20% body fat at that weight since lower then that is really hard for a woman to maintain. Even so, 5'8", 173 lbs and lean for a woman is just massive.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Big Country View Post
    This case I say they do. The division is so weak right now and Borg is the one fighter who you could make a strong case for the title shot. They either need to start lining up fighters to get a number one contender or get Borg to make the cut. Otherwise its limbo.
    That's the problem they are doing it to prop up a division that really shouldn't be in the UFC at this point. Rousey hasn't been really tested and if she runs into someone who can keep it standing she may be in trouble on that basis maybe the UFC can hire a wrestling and muay thai coach for her. I know I'm ranting a bit but just think promoters shouldn't have direct involvement with the fighters like this.

I wonder if people would be ok with the UFC hiring Dolce to help Cormier with his weight cut to LHW? Or hiring someone to help Aldo or GSP to bulk up so they can move up a division ?

Thread Information