+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Luke Rockhold wants to fight Costa Philippou at UFC on FOX 7

Hybrid View

Default Luke Rockhold wants to fight Costa Philippou at UFC on FOX 7

Luke Rockhold wants to fight Costa Philippou at UFC on FOX 7 - MMA Fighting

"I think Costa Philippou makes the most sense right now," he said. "He's coming off a win, and I think he's a good opponent. Let's get it on at [UFC on FOX 7]."

UFC on FOX 7, which is scheduled for April 20, already features former Strikeforce stars Gilbert Melendez and Daniel Cormier taking on Benson Henderson and Frank Mir, respectively, in high-profile fights. That card takes place at the unofficial home of Strikeforce, the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., which is also the home of the American Kickboxing Academy, where both Rockhold and Cormier, among others, train.

Philippou (12-2, 1 NC) didn't respond to MMAFighting.com's request for a comment, but his manager Lex McMahon called Rockhold's idea "a great fight."

Rockhold (10-1), a winner in his last nine fights, said he will be paying close attention to this weekend's UFC on FX 7 main event fight between Michael Bisping and Vitor Belfort, which will have major ramifications on the middleweight division.

"I want Bisping to stay on the up and up so I can knock him out, but I want Belfort to win because that would open a path to Anderson [Silva].

"I want the fight that gets me to Anderson as fast as I can. I believe I can fight him like no one else can. I want that opportunity because I believe I'm the No. 1 contender."

If Belfort wins on Saturday night, that would leave Rockhold and Weidman as only real options left for Silva at 185 pounds right now. Rockhold recognizes this and hopes to get to Silva first.

"I want to fight Silva before Weidman does because I think he might beat him," he said.

In the end, though, Rockhold really likes the idea of debuting in front of the familiar San Jose crowd.

"I want to debut in the Bay Area," he said. "I'm a Bay Area boy. So if anyone wants to step up, that would be great."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Not a bad fight at all...

A good test for both of them.

Have Mousasi on that card as well, it will be a good way to introduce some of the SF fighters...

Mousasi vs. Goose? Mousasi said he wants that fight, it would be a very good fight imo...

LHW is backed up at the moment... Jones vs. Sonnen happens in April... Then if Hendo wins(which I doubt) He should and probably will get the next shot...

Then Jones has DC chasing him down... As long as DC beats Mir and Cain beats AO, who are both favorites...

You also got Machida and Evans looking for a rematch with Jones... and If Glover can get past Rampage....

It could be a long time before a title shot opens up for Goose... It all depends on what happens in the upcoming fights.

I was actually just thinking that this would be a good first fight for him. I hope it goes down

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Kinda thought Rockhold would ask for Anderson(for the unification bout), winner of Bisping/Vitor or Weidman, but Consta would definately be a solid debut bout, although I think Rockhold fires on far too many cylinders for him.

Damn good debut IMO. Make it happen Joe!

I got Rockhold in this one by Dec but anything can happen, I thought Boetsch was going to destroy Costa but his TDD and striking looked very good.

Mousasi/Goose would be soo damn crazy added to this card. Damn good fight rampage.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Smart choice
    "The time is almost upon us.
    My centuries of manipulating... of preparing... are reaching their resolution.
    With the dawning of the new day, the end times will be upon us... my ascension complete. And you, the twelve -- prophesied saviors of mutantkind... your power will bestow upon me the means to achieve my destiny.
    First, I will remake this pathetic orb in my image, and then the stars."
    Apocalypse

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information