Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jones to Cormier: 'Just do it'

Hybrid View

Default Jones to Cormier: 'Just do it'

Jones to Cormier: 'Just do it' - Mixed Martial Arts News

Jones didn’t bat an eye when Daniel Cormier threatened to “kick his ass” during Saturday’s live Showtime broadcast.

“You know, the guy is a tremendous athlete and I wish he would just do it and just stop talking about it,” Jones said of Cormier on FUEL TV’s UFC Tonight. “I am open to fighting the best guys in the world.”

First things first for both fighters. Jones must successfully defend his throne against Chael Sonnen at UFC 159, while Cormier has to make his big league debut in triumphant fashion against Frank Mir on April 20th.

In addition, Cormier has to shed the excess weight required to hit the 205-pound mark on the scale.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Lance Armstrong could help Cormier get to 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Lance Armstrong could help Cormier get to 205.
    did he not come in to his last fight @ 230 he dont need help

Step 1: Hire Mike Dolce
    Step 2: Proffit
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Step 1: Hire Mike Dolce
    Step 2: Proffit
    I believe that's step 3...

A grudge match with Mir is cool and all, but it seems to me that working on getting to 205 right away would be more beneficial to his career.

Zombie is born!

In my opinion, he's doing it as fast as possible. This whole time, he was bound to a strikeforce contract. Now that he is signed with the UFC, the earliest he could fight Jones is in the late summer, early fall as Jones has a fight with Sonnen in April. Plus, he's talking about it to generate hype given that Dana has already talked about Cormier getting a possible title shot at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    A grudge match with Mir is cool and all, but it seems to me that working on getting to 205 right away would be more beneficial to his career.
    This I agree with. I think he'd be much better off testing the waters at 205, as any fight at HW is meaningless at this point. Why not fight Gustafsson, or the winner of Hendo/Machida, or the winner of Rashad/Nog. The first option would make the most sense, both in terms of contendership and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    In my opinion, he's doing it as fast as possible. This whole time, he was bound to a strikeforce contract. Now that he is signed with the UFC, the earliest he could fight Jones is in the late summer, early fall as Jones has a fight with Sonnen in April. Plus, he's talking about it to generate hype given that Dana has already talked about Cormier getting a possible title shot at 205.

This I agree with. I think he'd be much better off testing the waters at 205, as any fight at HW is meaningless at this point. Why not fight Gustafsson, or the winner of Hendo/Machida, or the winner of Rashad/Nog. The first option would make the most sense, both in terms of contendership and timing.
    An instantaneous title shot without a previous weight cut would be most unwise for Cormier.

I agree that if Cormier plans on going after Jones, then he should fight someone else at LHW first...

but we all know that's not going to happen because who cares? If he's an undefeated HW, he should immediately be given a title shot against Jones with no previous weight cut. Because ratings, that's why.

Thread Information