Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Barnett signs with the UFC?

Those all sound like great ideas but Dana won't start him out with a big name opponent. I'd bet the winner of Shaub/Johnson or Gonzaga/Rothwell.

That of course is assuming that this is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

There are a bunch of great fights in the UFC that could be built on the back of Barnett.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is true.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I do not think Nelson is a good first fight for Barnett because Barnett is probably only a win or two from a title shot and Nelson is no where close. .
    Im sorry but HOW on earth is Barnett one fight away from a title shot? He just got throughly tooled by DC then fought a complete no name, again HOW is he even close to a UFC title shot lol??

Name only?

Quote Originally Posted by krayven View Post
    Barnett vs JDS maybe?
    Why should Barnett be given the last UFC champ, arguably the #2 HW right now, when Barnett hasnt had a WIN over a top ten in YEARS??

People see the name "Josh Barnett" and automatically think he should be fighting the top 3 HWs in the world? I dont.

I say start him off with guys like Mitrione/Kongo/Barry/ MAYBE Nelson.

But for him to just leapfrog the entire division and get a title shot or a crack at the #2-#3 guy "Just because" makes absolutly no sense.

Barnett needs to EARN his spot, not have it given to him. Hes not the SF champ, never was, and hes not coming over with a huge list of awsome victories. Lets be honest here people.

Hes got a name, and a good skillset yes. But he doesnt deserve a fight aginst Cain or JDS, At the moment.

Now thats all said, I hope this is true.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

If I'm Dana & Joe Silva, IF I have Barnett on the roster, I might hold off on using him right away and have him as a stand-in for the upcoming Werdum/Big Nog II TUF card, as he would be a tremendous fight for either(an III with Nog would be cool) and I think that keeping Barnett on the line "just in case", may keep him honest when it comes to drug testing.

If they want to have him fight right away, I think Nelson, Browne or Kongo would be cool given the options.

Quote Originally Posted by LefthookStcrook View Post
    Im sorry but HOW on earth is Barnett one fight away from a title shot? He just got throughly tooled by DC then fought a complete no name, again HOW is he even close to a UFC title shot lol??

Name only?

Why should Barnett be given the last UFC champ, arguably the #2 HW right now, when Barnett hasnt had a WIN over a top ten in YEARS??

People see the name "Josh Barnett" and automatically think he should be fighting the top 3 HWs in the world? I dont.

But for him to just leapfrog the entire division and get a title shot or a crack at the #2-#3 guy "Just because" makes absolutly no sense.

Barnett needs to EARN his spot, not have it given to him. Hes not the SF champ, never was, and hes not coming over with a huge list of awsome victories. Lets be honest here people.

Hes got a name, and a good skillset yes. But he doesnt deserve a fight aginst Cain or JDS, At the moment.

well said

Name only?

completely agree. great post.

i like nelson or kongo. let's see if he can get past one of them before we talk top contension

7. Default

And Roy Nelson isn't that far from a title shot. Not sure who said that but that ain't the case.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

thats not his "nickname" any more so might not be true

Name only?

The UFC might want to give JDS a fight or two before a rematch with Cain. A big name win that wouldn't muddy things up too bad should he lose (Barnett) would bode well in selling a 3rd fight between Cain and JDS, seeing as how JDS holds convincing wins over quite a few of the top 10 already in the UFC, thus my reasoning for my suggestion.

"Deserve" means nothing in the UFC presently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Him and JDS would be a stellar fight too, but I want to see both those guys get a fight in before meeting each other.
    I couldnt see the UFC giving him JDS and risking have Barnett beat their ex champ. Too much to risk banking on Barnett to piss clean on his first fight back to the UFC, plus Dana hates him.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information