Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz training to fight off of his back against Georges St-Pierre

I'm not a wrestler, but what I put together from multiple sources is that Jake and Georges have very different wrestling styles. Georges is more athletic and goes for the power takedowns while Jack is more of a grinder who presses you against the cage and looks to run the pipe (in the wrestling sense of running the pipe).

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Diaz will be on his back most of the fight... Imo at this point of his career, he has a better chance of catching GSP in a submission, than getting his TDD up to a level where GSP respects it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    Working on td defense for GSP is the most "ridiculous" plan ever bud. He will take anyone down no matter how hard they work on it, then all that training will be for nothing.
    Agree with these two statements. I think it's pointless for Diaz to even spend much time working on TDD. GSP has already taken down amazing wrestlers who were training to stop GSP's TDs. Diaz already had very poor TDD; even if he spends two months working on just TDD, he's unlikely to stop it. Diaz is better off just going for subs. He has a very active guard, great BJJ defense and an unlimited gas tank. Those are great attributes to have when you're on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    I'm not a wrestler, but what I put together from multiple sources is that Jake and Georges have very different wrestling styles. Georges is more athletic and goes for the power takedowns while Jack is more of a grinder who presses you against the cage and looks to run the pipe (in the wrestling sense of running the pipe).
    From what I read, they are not using Jake for his takedowns and wrestling, but instead his top game. Jake has one of the best top games in the WW division. It will allow Nick to accomplish his goal of working the bottom game better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    From what I read, they are not using Jake for his takedowns and wrestling, but instead his top game. Jake has one of the best top games in the WW division. It will allow Nick to accomplish his goal of working the bottom game better.
    Jake is a great person to train your bottom game against, but I think gsp is too good at mixing up his gnp with his bjj. When it's on the ground I just see gsp delivering some hits, distracting diaz long enough for him to sneak in to half guard, then diaz will eat a few more punches to get it back to full guard.. rinse and repeat.

GSP will probably win a decision without doing much damage and retaining top control, but Diaz easily has the best bottom game out of anyone GSP has ever fought...and it's not like GSP has this frightening ground and pound or anything that is really going to disorient Nick...plus Nick's cardio is just as good as GSP's or anybodies for that matter.

One thing about Nick is he does have an extremely slick knee bar, and it doesn't matter how strong or athletic you are when somebody gets you in a deep knee bar...and Nick is gutsy and gritty enough to pull it off at pretty much any point in the fight if given a window of oppurtunity. I just don't see Nick pulling off an armbar or triangle or anything like that unless something crazy happens because GSP's posture is so good and he's just really strong. Diaz is a lanky and crafty mofo, though, so I'm not counting him out at all...but like most GSP fights, GSP by decision is the most likely outcome.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Training off of his back to fight the best wrestler in the division? You don't say!
    Is GSP the best wrestler in the division?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

GSP VS Hendricks should be quite interesting.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Does hitting or barely hitting someone (Penn-Stevenson) with a glancing elbow that happens to open up a cut really count as frightening ground and pound? And Penn becomes a punching bag after 1 and a half rounds, the damage to Kos was done on the feet. He did beat Fitch and Alves pretty good (especially Fitch) but lets be honest, their bottom game isn't nearly that of Diaz's. I'd be more worried about Diego's GNP than GSP's, and I think Nick had more left at the end of that fight...he just couldn't keep Diego off the top of him consistently enough to win rounds. But GSP is obviously better on the feet and better and controlling position.

Another thing to Note is GSP will not have much of a reach advantage in this fight. Out of all GSP's recent opponents, only Condit matches Nick's reach. Nick just has to watch out for the leg kicks (he should be able to match GSP's jab), but honestly GSP does not kick that hard...just like Condit didn't lol...but points are points when you gotta turn to the judges for a winner.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-19-2013 at 08:26 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Does hitting or barely hitting someone (Penn-Stevenson) with a glancing elbow that happens to open up a cut really count as frightening ground and pound? And Penn becomes a punching bag after 1 and a half rounds, the damage to Kos was done on the feet. He did beat Fitch and Alves pretty good (especially Fitch) but lets be honest, their bottom game isn't nearly that of Diaz's. I'd be more worried about Diego's GNP than GSP's, and I think Nick had more left at the end of that fight...he just couldn't keep Diego off the top of him consistently enough to win rounds. But GSP is obviously better on the feet and better and controlling position.

Another thing to Note is GSP will not have much of a reach advantage in this fight. Out of all GSP's recent opponents, only Condit matches Nick's reach. Nick just has to watch out for the leg kicks (he should be able to match GSP's jab), but honestly GSP does not kick that hard...just like Condit didn't lol...but points are points when you gotta turn to the judges for a winner.
    I doubt Nick can match GSP's jab. Diaz throws his very traditionally whereas GSP throws his by elongating his body making it faster and himself a more elusive target. Secondly trying to pry any knowlegde from a Sanchez-Diaz fight that happened 8 years ago isn't very relevant.

GSP doesn't "gotta turn to the judges" either. That guy fights full speed the whole fight and consistently faces guys who almost never get finished by anybody. Look at the faces of his opponents after the fights, he isn't coasting or going for decisions by any means.

GSP has faced all kinds of fighters and has beat them all.
    Wrestler with a strong double, GNP and throws bombs - Koschek
    Wrestler who grinds and has a great submission game - Shields
    BJJ ace with good boxing - Penn
    Overall good fighter who grinds - Fitch
    Striker (punching base) - Hardy
    Striker (muay thai) - Alves
    Dangerous from everywhere, great muay thai - Condit

One thing those guys all did wrong was rest on their laurels. They developed a game plan with few surprises and GSP ate them up because he knew exactly what to do. Diaz needs to be like Penn-Fitch and surprise the fuck out of GSP to have a chance. Otherwise he's just another victim.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Thread Information