Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz training to fight off of his back against Georges St-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Nick is going to get steamrolled.
    I see what you did there... Nick would love to get a steamroller, but I doubt he will love this as much.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    I doubt Nick can match GSP's jab. Diaz throws his very traditionally whereas GSP throws his by elongating his body making it faster and himself a more elusive target. Secondly trying to pry any knowlegde from a Sanchez-Diaz fight that happened 8 years ago isn't very relevant.

GSP doesn't "gotta turn to the judges" either. That guy fights full speed the whole fight and consistently faces guys who almost never get finished by anybody. Look at the faces of his opponents after the fights, he isn't coasting or going for decisions by any means.

GSP has faced all kinds of fighters and has beat them all.
    Wrestler with a strong double, GNP and throws bombs - Koschek
    Wrestler who grinds and has a great submission game - Shields
    BJJ ace with good boxing - Penn
    Overall good fighter who grinds - Fitch
    Striker (punching base) - Hardy
    Striker (muay thai) - Alves
    Dangerous from everywhere, great muay thai - Condit

One thing those guys all did wrong was rest on their laurels. They developed a game plan with few surprises and GSP ate them up because he knew exactly what to do. Diaz needs to be like Penn-Fitch and surprise the fuck out of GSP to have a chance. Otherwise he's just another victim.
    Looking at a fight from 8 years ago is relevant, because Nick's ground game is very similar to what is was in that fight, only it has improved...but he still uses alot of the same techniques...just like GSP is very similar to what he was back then, only better. It's common knowledge that Diego has and has always had some of the most ferocious GNP in MMA.

Also, GSP has definitely coasted in some fights. Just because there is damage on his opponents faces doesn't mean he didn't coast for a good majority of the fight. 1 or 2 good strikes can have somebody's face busted up pretty good, and he is usually in 25 minute fights. The fight versus Alves GSP most definitely was coasting for alot of that fight, but he landed a very hard straight right that dropped Thiago and some good ground and pound shots that were damaging...but other than that, he just took him down and didn't do much on several occasions. Against Hardy he barely did any damage at all, and the same goes for his fight with Shields. He did almost finish Hardy but lets be honest, anybody with a great submission ability would have been able to finish Hardy with both the armbar and the kimura.

Also I do not think Fitch is a well rounded fighter. He has great grappling, but his stand up is below average. I also do not take much from him being able to outjab and outstrike Koscheck, who has very little other than an OH right and right hook. GSP enjoys a convenient reach advantage over him...and Kos just isn't a good striker (though he is powerful). I thought GSP looked great against Condit, though, other than the headkick knockdown...but at least he showed he could survive something like that.

I definitely agree that Diaz needs to mix his gameplan up and not just show up to fight, AKA exactly what he didn't do against Condit. He can be pretty slick at times, though...and we've seen GSP get submitted pretty quick in BJJ. Of coarse MMA is alot different with strikes, but Diaz is pretty gritty.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

3. Default

How many people has Nick submitted off of his back? And how many times has GSP been submitted off of his back?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    How many people has Nick submitted off of his back? And how many times has GSP been submitted from top position
    Fixed ^

and

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

5. Default

And that 1 was over turned like it never existed.

Yeah Nick's magical bottom game. Much like JDS super awesome ground game.

Myth's MMA fans love to make up.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Myth's MMA fans love to make up.
    Jus because it was over turned does not mean it didn't happen and it was a sweet sub to boot. To pull off a sub like that against a solid opponent lends credence to Nick high level BJJ. That said gsp's top game > Gomi's by a lot and GSP's sub defense > Gomi's

nicks BJJ is no myth though.

I doubt Diaz will be able to pull off a sub on GSP it could happen but just unlikely. I see GSP grinding out a decision as usual
    Last edited by beardown98; 01-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Fixed ^

and

Well realistically, the number should be 3. The gogoplata is one of them. He also submitted Jeremy Jackson with an armbar off his back. The third is Cyborg Santos (the male); he caught him in the armbar from the bottom and rolled it into a straight armbar.

Credentials? No.

Wrestling for MMA? Fuck yes.
    I bet anything that GSP couldn't take down askren in a MMA fight (he'd win by standing, but askren would wipe the floor with him in takedowns)

Do we have a definitive status update on Nick Diaz? Last I heard from Dana, Nick still wasn't returning calls or responding to texts.

“I’m sure if we get those two boys together, have Jake Shields on top of Nick Diaz all day and we work from there, I think we’re gonna have a really great chance,” said Melendez, shining a little light on the Graciefighter’s strategy.
    Why the hell is Melendez saying "if" we get those two boys together? Shouldn't he be saying "when" we get those two boys together? This makes me worry that Nick is MIA from is own fight team.

Lol People trying to say Diaz has 0 or 1 submission wins from his back? Get your facts straight, people...and yes, the Gomi sub happened.

Also, having 13 knockouts, and 8 submissions total submissions might just have a little something to do with his lack of finishes from the bottom.

"OH, you tko'd someone? You submitted someone from top position? Your bottom game must suck!"

What a great logic, haha. For anyone that actually watches all of Nick's fight and his bjj matches, it's pretty obvious he's got a really good and active guard.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-20-2013 at 01:41 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Thread Information