+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Askren on Bellator 86 title defense: 'the fans are going to be disappointed again'

Default Askren on Bellator 86 title defense: 'the fans are going to be disappointed again'

Ben Askren on Bellator 86 title defense against Karl Amassou: 'the fans are going to be disappointed again' - MMAmania.com

Askren's next opponent, Karl Amoussou, who "Funky" faces at Bellator 86 on Jan. 24, 2013, has repeatedly called Askren "boring" and attacked the fighting style of the Duke Roufus trained athlete.

For Askren, the opinion of the fans and his opponents matters not, he simply chalks up all the hate to the fact people may not like him, or they want to see him lose. Which is fine, because Askren has no problem with continuing to rack up wins using his wrestling and "disappoint" those who dislike him each and every time he steps in the cage to compete.

"...People want to see me lose for whatever reason -- my attitude, my style, whatever it is," Askren said on Friday's Bellator 86 pre-fight media conference call. "You know when I get on top and I get on top fast and frequently, they know the bottom guy has zero chance to escape and zero chance to submit me, so, you know, it's a rather boring fight for them because what they want to see is they want to see me lose, but they know it's not going to happen in their hearts so, you know, they got to sit there disappointed for 25 minutes because they don't get to see what they want.

"And you know, come next Thursday, the fans are going to be disappointed again because there's no way that belt's leaving my waist."

Whether you choose to never watch him compete again or tune in every time with the hopes he receives a beating, Askren is who he is, and he's proud of his ability to dominate with wrestling.

Regardless of if you love him or hate him, Askren remains firm in his stance that his style is never going to chance, so you better get used to it.

"You know I'm never going to change my style. I am who I am and I'm not afraid to be that guy," he said. "I've had a lot of time since my last fight and I have made serious improvement to a lot of areas, but nevertheless I'll never be as good at everything else as I am at wrestling, so that's always going to be my base,

"I'm not shy to admit that and I'm actually proud that I grew up a wrestler and that's my background."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Eh I dont mind watching him fight. Talented dude.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

As soon as he matches his Brown belt BJJ with his wrestling, people are fucked.

4. Default

Not a fan of his but if he can truly over look what people say and continue to do what he's been doing I give respect for that. If he didn't have the title he'd have problems like Fitch had. So he better hold onto it

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Not a fan of his but if he can truly over look what people say and continue to do what he's been doing I give respect for that. If he didn't have the title he'd have problems like Fitch had. So he better hold onto it
    If the UFC was set up like Bellator, Fitch would have had 4 or 5 title shots by now.

im not really a fan, but there is somethin to be said about this guy's ability to implement his game plan 100% of the time.

I would say askren is top ten, but until he starts being more exciting (possibly earn a finish) and/or faces top level competition, it will be hard for him to break into the elite top 5.

I almost want da to sign him just to pit him against someone who would beat his ass, but aside from gsp, i dont know who could as the guy is such a dominant wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by carbondioxide830 View Post
    im not really a fan, but there is somethin to be said about this guy's ability to implement his game plan 100% of the time.

I would say askren is top ten, but until he starts being more exciting (possibly earn a finish) and/or faces top level competition, it will be hard for him to break into the elite top 5.

I almost want da to sign him just to pit him against someone who would beat his ass, but aside from gsp, i dont know who could as the guy is such a dominant wrestler.
    I'd say GSP, Fitch, Hendricks, Ellenberger, Rory, and Kampman would all be capable of beating him based on being better strikers, and good ttd.

Can't wait to see the Missouri native on Thursday. War Askren. Although it would be nice to see him start subbing people.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Can't wait to see the Missouri native on Thursday. War Askren. Although it would be nice to see him start subbing people.
    I'll be rooting for him too buddy.

Off topic but Missouri related-I still think your Chiefs are gonna draft Geno Smith.

I don't watch Askren's fights anymore.

He is a douche.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information