Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: After Bisping's loss, it's time to pull trigger on Anderson Silva vs. Rashad Evans

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    It doesnt matter what Anderson said or was told to say. the UFC makes the fights... Do people honestly think Anderson is pulling the strings behind the scenes... Do they realize that Chris has had back to back surgeries since his last fight.
    It has happened in the past before where Anderson (along with Soares) have made it difficult for matches to be made. I don't think it's really an issue of him ducking fighters though it has more to do with wanting to choose who he fights as well as a combination of making the most money he can possible. Nothing wrong with that on a personal level but at the same time you open yourself to criticism if others see this as a slight to someone deserving.

    For me I think Rashad would be the best match for Anderson currently but the weight cut makes it a question mark. I would have preferred to see him fight someone at 185 instead of his current match with Lil Nog which makes no sense at all. I think Rockhold and Weidman both have about the same claim to a match with their current records.

  2. #32
    Kimbo> Rampage Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    It has happened in the past before where Anderson (along with Soares) have made it difficult for matches to be made. I don't think it's really an issue of him ducking fighters though it has more to do with wanting to choose who he fights as well as a combination of making the most money he can possible. Nothing wrong with that on a personal level but at the same time you open yourself to criticism if others see this as a slight to someone deserving.

    For me I think Rashad would be the best match for Anderson currently but the weight cut makes it a question mark. I would have preferred to see him fight someone at 185 instead of his current match with Lil Nog which makes no sense at all. I think Rockhold and Weidman both have about the same claim to a match with their current records.
    Agree. I see Rashad as the clearly most dangerous to him, if he can in fact make MW... Aside from GSP and Jones which probably wouldnt happen at MW anyways. But at the same time it would bring in the most money besides those 2 super fights as well. That would be a great dream fight, and would sell well... not sure it how likely it really is. Rashad seems bent on getting back at Jones.

    If Weidman was actually slighted and didnt eventually get his due shot, then it would be unfair... Fans, the Media, and eventually the UFC would have to adress it head on... otherwise Anderson would be made a coward and he would deserve all the criticism thrown at him...

    but its hard to listen to all this ducking nonsense when the fight was never made and Weidman will be out close to a year with injuries.

    I wanted to see Bisping finally get his shot and get destroyed by Anderson at the same time... but its better this way... Whoever gets the shot at Anderson will deserve it imo...

    Weidman, Rockhold, Lombard, and Evans would all be just in getting a title shot next(depending on them all winning) some more deserving than others, but all deserving... The UFC cannot make everyone happy, they can only make one fight at a time.

  3. Default

    There needs to be some order to keep the title respectable which it isn't right now.
    Chris was ready to fight Anderson, but when he said he was taking time off he choose to get the surgery, and Anderson than decided to fight Bonnar.

    Since SF closed I could see there title holder getting a imediate title shot to unify the titles. Not saying Rockhold is better than Chris just that he is SF title holder.

    Rashad I believe would give Silva the best fight, but atleast win one in the div first please.

    As far as sitting out just because you want to let him. Than make a interim title and no fights = no money from the UFC. Sit out to long strip him and make him fight somebody to get a shot back for his title. Soares wouldn't let him set and lose money and have to fight a non title fight/ low money. The UFC needs to set presendence of who's in charge. My way won't make the most money I know, but it would be respectable anyhow.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Weidman deserves the shot at Anderson end thred
    Oh God no. I smell Vitor vs Weidman though
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  5. Default

    Seriously, why the fuck is Rashad being talked about for MW title contention? He is coming off a UD loss, has never fought at MW, and is scheduled to fight Lil Nog soon.

    Also, I've never been a fan of champions of lesser organizations, who have fought lesser competition, getting a UFC title shot without having a top contenders fight in the company first.

    At this current point in time, the most deserving contender is Chris Weidman. The fact that he is injured is now a moot point since A) Anderson doesn't want to fight until this summer anyway, and 2) No other contender has proven himself more worthy while Weidman was out of commission.
    Last edited by H0SS; 01-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
    ------------------

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Can someone please send me a link to the Weidman fan club website, and how much does he pay per post of him deserving a title shot?

    Ive said it before and I guess I have to say it again, so please someone correct me if I am wrong. Weidman has 1 (ONE) solid victory in his record, thats it, not 2 not 1.5 just 1.

    Im not even saying he doesnt deserve a shot, I think its fair game between him or Rockhold, or Lombard if he wins his next one or Rashad if he beats lil Nog convincingly. Its up in the air. Lets not omit another fact, sure this is a sport and there needs to be some guidelines, but Anderson is a bit of an anomaly, he has been literally embarrassing all competition for the last 7 years, again, not winning but utterly annihilating all comers, so bringing a guy from a heavier division is an interesting option as no one in his division in the last 7 years has been able to scratch him (with the one exception of Sonnen I).

    All Im saying is please stop saying Weidman is the clear number one contender, he just isnt. You can make an argument for it, but thats it. Rockhold holds the SF title, Weidman has one solid win... its a tossup. Here is another fun fact that has already been brought up in this thread, he was offered the number one contender fight against Boetsch, he got injured... shit happens, but now by missing that fight he is clearly the number one contender.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    We're talking about who the #1 contender is as of this moment. It is Weidman. He made that claim when he beat Munoz 6 months ago. Since then, he not only hasn't lost that claim, instead made it more credible given that 4 other top contenders dropped out of the spot with a loss (Bisping, Boetsch, Lombard, Belcher). Weidman also has better wins than Rockhold, whose biggest win is Jacare. UFC doesn't want to see Belfort and Okami fight Anderson Silva again either. The two superfights (GSP, Jones) doesn't look like it's happening either. Who else is there?

    If Lombard beats Okami impressively, they can build that up, but if he loses, it only establishes Weidman more solidly as the #1 contender. Not saying that he will get the shot, as they could easily go with Rockhold for the champion versus champion billing, but let's not kid ourselves to thinking that anyone else is the #1 contender besides Weidman at this point.
    Can you show me anywhere where Weidman has been officially announced as the #1 contender and not just a contender in the mix?


    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Seriously, why the fuck is Rashad being talked about for MW title contention? He is coming off a UD loss, has never fought at MW, and is scheduled to fight Lil Nog soon.

    Also, I've never been a fan of champions of lesser organizations, who have fought lesser competition, getting a UFC title shot without having a top contenders fight in the company first.
    I feel ya but you can't have a division with 2 undisputed champions. They had no problems letting Hendo fight Rampage to consolidate the titles.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Can you show me anywhere where Weidman has been officially announced as the #1 contender and not just a contender in the mix?
    Nowadays, no one is ever officially the #1 contender until they sign the contract. Nonetheless, Dana mentioned weidman was the #1 contendor in August:

    Dana White Says Chris Weidman Is No. 1 Middleweight, Doesn't Rule out GSP-Silva | Bleacher Report

    The two other names he mentioned was GSP and Bisping, the former isn't interested in the fight and the latter just lost. Weidman is the only man left standing.

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I feel ya but you can't have a division with 2 undisputed champions. They had no problems letting Hendo fight Rampage to consolidate the titles.
    That's very different because Pride was easily the biggest MMA organization until 2006. They had higher calibre fighters fighting top competition. When Pride existed, fans were going nuts wanting to see who was the true LHW champion was, Liddell or Wanderlei. When Rampage and Henderson took over their thrones, there was still debate as they were the two top fighters in the division. Strikeforce was always considered a B show to the UFC and Rockhold (due to lack of competition) is not even considered top 5, and is currently hovering in the bottom of the top 10.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Can someone please send me a link to the Weidman fan club website, and how much does he pay per post of him deserving a title shot?
    Dude, your posts are pretty grumpy. And Dr MMA beat me to the link, this is why people are saying it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Nowadays, no one is ever officially the #1 contender until they sign the contract. Nonetheless, Dana mentioned weidman was the #1 contendor in August:

    Dana White Says Chris Weidman Is No. 1 Middleweight, Doesn't Rule out GSP-Silva | Bleacher Report
    I've never been high on Munoz and wasn't on Maia since he started playing boxer. But Maia was top 10 at the top and Munoz was the top contender after Sonnen and Okami lost. Weidman beat him; Dana White and the UFC declared him the #1 contender. Presumably, this was largely due to the lack of stand outs at MW right now and Weidman's meeting of the criteria (barely) of one top-10 win and one top-5 win.

    So that's why people are calling it out. Because there isn't an obviously more deserving contender. Because the UFC already declared him the #1 contender with a reasonable record to back it up. Because we get annoyed when champs try to pick their fights.

    And don't forget to read Dr. MMAs post.

    Can we please STFU with the Weidman/Silva shit now? I'm bored and believe the people writing awful garbage and whining about this could be saying much more interesting and insightful stuff about other fights.

    I propose we all agree to end this and stop letting it take over every topic.

  10. Default

    He beat two top 10 fighters (some sites had Maia ranked as high as 7 before the fight). He's on a 9 fight win streak (5 within the UFC). And he brutally stopped his last opponent who was ranked within the top 5.

    Oh yeah... and all the other top contenders have shit the bed except for Rockhold.

    I feel ya but you can't have a division with 2 undisputed champions. They had no problems letting Hendo fight Rampage to consolidate the titles.
    Strikeforce is considered a B league promotion. They've never had the depth or fanbase that Pride had. I don't think anyone considers Luke an "undisputed champion".
    ------------------

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •