Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/3/1 by wendler

Default 5/3/1 by wendler

Anyone else doing this? I know there are some dudes who lift on this site not sure if anyone else is doing something similar?

Yes. if your GOAL IS STRENGTH. Then 5/3/1 is pretty much the best at this point. It has the most linear neurological and obviously muscular adaptation to the "three main lifts".

Wendler is a bit nutty with his nutrition until his 2nd edition of the book where he changed his mind about being lean and healthy (he used to say it doesn't matter what you eat). And, I met him at a recent CrossFit "tournament" and he looked lean, healthy and strong as all hell.

I think his program is also easy to understand and follow as he breaks pretty much everything down and his percentages are easy and quite attainable in the progression department.

His inclusion of the deload week is fantastic as are his numerous "Assistance" work outs, I think he calls them.

I have a modified 5/3/1/ program with my own assistance work somewhere.

It's been great for me.

In less then a year with my beginner

I've gone from 1 rep maxes of

Bench: 185-325
    Deadlift: 225-400
    Press: 135-200
    squat: Is only 350 I had a fucked up knee for like 5 of the 9 months

I have not dieted at all pretty much this whole time but I'm going to start working on cleaning my food up quite a bit.

I've gained a good bit of muscle want to make sure it can be seen.

I'm about 5'7 250 but I carry my weight pretty well.

Eating clean is fucking tough when your whole life has been spent eating carbs like it's your only food source Gotta sak up grab my dick and make some changes.

Any staple food tips from your diet? I find it hards to stick to if I have too much variety.

Yeah for sure dude. Stick to the same things then. Gimme your schedule, work school work outs, and I'll throw something together for ya.

Greens are a staple for sure; kale, arugula, spinach, Swiss chard, Collard greens,

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    Yeah for sure dude. Stick to the same things then. Gimme your schedule, work school work outs, and I'll throw something together for ya.

Greens are a staple for sure; kale, arugula, spinach, Swiss chard, Collard greens,
    I wake up at 6:45 am work by 8:00 AM and work till 6PM M-F

I workout at about 6:30 pm and the days vary depending what my life allows but on average I lift 4 days a week.

crisco -

Could you (or kidinside) explain 5/3/1 like you are explaining it to a child (which I am)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    crisco -

Could you (or kidinside) explain 5/3/1 like you are explaining it to a child (which I am)? Thanks.
    Basically It's a way of calculating your weight lifting for the 4 major lifts

Strength Standards

go here and it will give you your workout.

Then let me know your questions from there its faster that way

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Iv been doin the 3/3/3 system

I done several different ways over the years and most of them seem to work, including the 5/3/1. It seems like a good idea to change your routine up if you feel like your hitting a plateau.

the 3/3/3 is very weird because you fell like you can actually do more, especially on the first 2 sets... but you have to stick to it and only do 3 sets...

Numbers keep going up so ill stick to it.

Thread Information