Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Benavidez not interested in proposed 115-pound division

Default Joseph Benavidez not interested in proposed 115-pound division

UFC 156's Joseph Benavidez not interested in proposed 115-pound division | News

"Honestly, when I make 125 and I weigh 125 and tell someone I weigh 125, I'm embarrassed sometimes," Benavidez admitted to MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio). "I don't feel like a man when I'm on the scale.

"If a girl asks me what I weigh, I'll tell her I fight 125, 'But I walk around at like 150. I'm a man and everything.' I think 115 is too light."

The 5-foot-4 Benavidez started his Zuffa run at 135 pounds, racking up a 5-2 record in the WEC, with both losses coming to future UFC champion Dominick Cruz. He continued his bantamweight run in the UFC until the promotion instituted the 125-pound weight class, which seemed a better suit for his frame.

Benavidez was one of four men selected for the promotion's inaugural four-man flyweight tournament, and he knocked out Yasuhiro Urushitani before falling short in the title fight against Demetrious Johnson.

But with Benavidez preparing to step on the scale for a UFC 156 bout with Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC), the Team Alpha Male product said he's not considering 115 pounds at any point in his career.

"At the moment, I'm pretty much a rice cake," Benavidez said. "After weigh-ins, 'Beefcake' will be back.

"I'll have nothing to do with 115. If they want to do that, whatever. At least I wont be the tiny guy, I guess. That's a plus."

Instead, Benavidez seems to think his permanent home will remain at 125 pounds. With a win over McCall, he could be in line for a potential rematch with Johnson, but he's not necessarily rushing his second shot at the title. He knows another title fight is in his future, and he's relishing his role as one of the sport's trailblazers at 125 pounds – perhaps even earning his spot on the Mt. Rushmore of the flyweight division.

"I hope so," Benavidez said. "That would be a good-looking Mt. Rushmore. 'Creepy's' little glasses, 'Mighty Mouse's head and ears, John Dodson's smile and me, I don't know what I really do. Maybe with a beanie and two thumbs up. I think that would be a hell of a Mt. Rushmore.

"It makes sense. We're the first people to ever do this. … That would be awesome. When it all comes down to it, all of us are going to fight each other at some point."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I hope this is the last weight class they implement. I love fighting as much as the next guy, but not sure I want to see anyone who weighs less than 115 stepping (floating) up to the octagon... Also hope they don't add weight classes in between like a 195, I think that would be a big mistake.

NO ONE is interested in a 115lb divison, NO ONE.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Cruiserweight makes alot more sense than Anorexiaweight.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I am.
    Not trying to start anything but what do you think a 115 division could bring to the UFC?
    I'm just curious and want to hear some point counter point stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I am.
    as stated earlier, NO ONE is interested in the 115lb division
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

I am really enjoying the Flyweights. Last week’s scrap between Johnson and Dodson was quite entertaining.

I’ve been watching UFC since UFC 1. When the UFC implemented the Lightweight division, plenty of fans boo’ed during the bouts. There were complaints that the LW’s were too small and could not KO anyone. But, then things started to turn around, better LW fighters entered the division and it has become one of the more exciting divisions in the UFC.

I feel that the same will happen with the Flyweights and now the Strawweights. Dodson has already shown that there are smaller fighters out there with the power to KO, plus they are all athletically gifted freaks in terms of movement.

One other reason I support the UFC’s decision to introduce another weight class is another title to vie for. More belts mean more title defenses and those titles in the lighter weight classes seem to be contested on TV rather than PPV. To me, it’s just more exciting and dramatic when there’s a belt on the line. Even though the lighter weight classes will be kinda thin (no pun intended) at first, given time they will develop into the same UFC quality that the other weight classes provide.

Bring on the little warriors!

No thanks to 115

Considering the former title challenger says he doesn't feel like a man when he steps on the scale at 125, I don't see what adding 115 will bring to the UFC (I guess other than breaking the Mexican market wide open)

Thread Information