Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think all Strikeforce Champs should get immediate title shots in the UFC?

Default Do you think all Strikeforce Champs should get immediate title shots in the UFC?

I think they should, regardless of how long they were Champs for.

Strikeforce was a very respectable organization, and they had some top flight fighters in their roster. I think it would be a nice sign-off, and a good show of respect towards the organization to immediately grant their Champs title shots. I think that would make for some incredibly interesting fights......

Your take?

Short answer, no. They shouldn't be entitled to an immediate title shot just because they held a belt in a lesser promotion fighting lesser competition.

Long answer, it depends. Take Gilbert for example. For a long time e has been considered to be a top 3 LW. With the UFC LW division pretty thin right now, giving him an immediate shot makes sense. Someone like Saffedine on the other hand hadn't been widely considered to be a top ten WW and I don't see him doing well against top five guys in the UFC let alone GSP. So no, he doesn't deserve a title shot right away.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I think it depends on how many times they defended the belt. 2 or more defenses = yes. 1 defense or less = no.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Absolutely not. Unless they were already a Champion and it's just a title unification bout

You gotta work you're way up that food chain daddio.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Jake didnt get a shot, and imo he had one of the best records for a Sf champ. Hendo didnt get one either.

Why should anyone else?

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

6. Default

Just holding a SF belt shouldn't automatically get you a UFC titleshot. The level of competition should be taken into account.
    ------------------

I think in just a matter of where they fit in with the current contenders that are in the UFC. I said in some cases it doesn't warrant them a shot immediate and in others they kind of default into anyways.

LW - Melendez gets the shot as no one else has stood out enough yet.

WW - Tarec just won the title so no immediate shot other guys are ahead of him

MW - I think it's a bit of a toss up between Rockhold and Weidman for the shot at the title at this point. Wouldn't argue strongly for against either of them getting it

Quote Originally Posted by LefthookStcrook View Post
    Jake didnt get a shot, and imo he had one of the best records for a Sf champ. Hendo didnt get one either.

Why should anyone else?
    I would have to agree with this logic man. since the other guys didn't i don't know why they would....but I'm sure gil will get an automatic shot.

I would like to see Luke get one fight 1st. I think Luke and weidman could still use a little hype around their name before fighting for a title .....I'd actually really like to see the two of them fight each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I think in just a matter of where they fit in with the current contenders that are in the UFC. I said in some cases it doesn't warrant them a shot immediate and in others they kind of default into anyways.

LW - Melendez gets the shot as no one else has stood out enough yet.

WW - Tarec just won the title so no immediate shot other guys are ahead of him

MW - I think it's a bit of a toss up between Rockhold and Weidman for the shot at the title at this point. Wouldn't argue strongly for against either of them getting it
    I like this. Adding in Weidman coming off injury, I'm game for Gil and Rockhold getting the shots; Tarec maybe gets a huge opportunity for a #1 contender bout if Hendricks loses.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I like this. Adding in Weidman coming off injury, I'm game for Gil and Rockhold getting the shots; Tarec maybe gets a huge opportunity for a #1 contender bout if Hendricks loses.
    I'm thinking maybe even pull Ellenberger out of the fight with Hendricks and put Tarec in there. Would leave no debate about who should be next in line if Hendricks wins and gives Tarec a legitimate claim to a title shot if he does.

Thread Information