Thread: After Bisping loss, Weidman reiterates desire to fight Anderson: 'I am a bad matchup

Default After Bisping loss, Weidman reiterates desire to fight Anderson: 'I am a bad matchup

After Bisping loss, Weidman reiterates desire to fight Anderson: 'I am a bad matchup for him'
    After Bisping loss, Chris Weidman reiterates desire to fight Anderson Silva: 'I am a bad matchup for him' - MMA Fighting

"Iím not going to start saying Anderson Silva is a chicken and scared of me," he said. "I do think I am a bad matchup for him. I think I really have him beat in a lot of areas. I don't think he's faced anybody like me. I also can understand from his view point why he doesn't want to fight me, for a couple reasons."

Weidman says Silva likely believes it's a high-risk fight for him. As many have pointed out, it's wrestling that has given Silva the most problems over the years, and Weidman has a pedigree in the combat sport as a two-time Division I collegiate All-American. While some collegiate stars have had trouble adapting their wrestling skills to the MMA arena, the undefeated Weidman (9-0) has been a quick study; according to FightMetric, he has landed 72 percent of his takedown attempts and has never been taken down.

Weidman is planning to travel to Chicago this week to be in attendance for the UFC on FOX event, and hopes to talk to the UFC brass about his return.

While he's not opposed to fighting another contender, like Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold or Belfort if that's what the UFC decides upon, Weidman hasn't yet given up on the possibility that he'll be called upon for Silva, especially after Bisping lost last Saturday night.

"Right now I think Iím the most deserving to get it if they want to make the [Silva] fight right away," he said. "I just don't know if Anderson Silva will be interested."

Weidman said he wasn't rooting against Bisping last weekend and that never roots against anyone, afraid of any bad karma that might come his way as a result. In fact, he expected Bisping to win the fight and go on to a title match against Silva.

If Weidman does get the Silva fight in the summer, it will come after about a year on the sidelines. He says he'd take it anyway, because he doesn't exactly view his time out of the cage as being sidelined. Despite being injured, he's regularly in the gym, and has spent a lot of time improving his kicks and working on his left hook, tools that will only increase his firepower upon his return.

And whoever it is, whether it's Silva or another contender like himself eager to get to a title shot, Weidman is just ready to keep on climbing.

"Whoever UFC decides, Iím good," he said. "I just cant wait to get back in the octagon and just keep proving myself. There are still a million doubters out there and I love proving them wrong. All the people who think Iím going to get killed by Anderson Silva, eventually I want to prove those guys wrong."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Why would it interest Anderson? What would he gain by defeating Chris? He has everything to lose in a fight with someone whose gameplan will be to lay on top of him for 25 minutes. His claim to fame is that he beat Munoz whose claim to fame is that he beat a couple guys that Anderson destroyed without taking a single shot.

Beat Vitor, hell, beat bisping, then ask for a shot. Otherwise, put your career on the line if you are so confident.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

rob_bills Guest

*YAWN* getting really tired of hearing Chris Weidman run his mouth from the sidelines. At this point he is a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post

Beat Vitor, hell, beat bisping, then ask for a shot. Otherwise, put your career on the line if you are so confident.
    Hell in cell or ladder match?

The problem with the MW division right now is that I don't feel that there is a concrete #1 contender. Either they need to start getting some of the contenders to fight or pick one who is thought to be the most deserving, which most would say is Wiedman.

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    Why would it interest Anderson?
    Because he is the champ and Weidman is the #1 contender. Atleast that is why it should interest Silva.

What would he gain by defeating Chris? He has everything to lose in a fight with someone whose gameplan will be to lay on top of him for 25 minutes.
    Weidman isn't a L&P fighter. If they did fight, his game plan wouldn't be to lay on him, it will be to finish him by G&P and subs.

His claim to fame is that he beat Munoz whose claim to fame is that he beat a couple guys that Anderson destroyed without taking a single shot.
    Still the #1 contender.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

6-man Royal Rumble

Weidman is sort of the #1 contender by default. Bisping & Barbarian were the other guys in contention & they both lost.

Have Weidman prove his #1 contender status against Luke Rockhold. I don't have an especially high opinion of Rockhold but at least you can build whoever wins up as a legit challenger to Anderson.

I want to see Weidman against a striker so he can prove he can hang with Silva.
    ďDiscussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.Ē

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Sick of Anderson ducking this guy... If he had any hespect left... for the sport, the fans, himself... He would fly to whatever physical therapy facility that Weidman is at and challenge him to a fight... Coward

Thread Information