Dana White pulled no punches in a Q&A about all things UFC - MMA - Jon Wertheim - SI.com

**Thread starter's note: The interview is very long, and obviously most hard-core fans are familiar with Dana White. I only posted the excerpts that interested me most.**

Whitey Bulger was basically the reason you got out of Boston, right?

Yeah, that's the reason I left. I had always planned on coming back to Vegas, I just didn't know when. I had a good thing going in Boston, at least I thought I did.

What was that?

We were training people, training fighters, we were training businessmen, we were training housewives. We were teaching anybody who wanted to learn how to box and I was making money. I was paying my bills and I enjoyed what I did.

I was having fun. So, yeah, I wasn't planning on leaving when I did. Then I got the phone call and I literally -- I had this pretty cool little place. I had a one-bedroom condo on a second floor with a huge deck, and I left everything there: furniture, television, stereos, bedroom set, everything I owned I left in that condo when I left.

I packed a suitcase with clothes and came out here. It was on a Sunday afternoon.

What was the call, 2,500 bucks?

Yes, 2,500 bucks. Yeah, well they had walked into a class. It was a guy named Kevin Weeks and he was one of his guys. Kevin Weeks was Whitey Bulger's right-hand man.

They walked into my class, 'You owe us 2,500 bucks.' 'For what?' They were just like, 'Figure it out. Get it.' I said, 'I don't have it. '
2,500 bucks was like asking me for 25,000. I don't have it. They said, Well, get it from your girlfriend. I said, She doesn't have it either. They said, Well, you're going to have to figure it out.

So I avoided them for a while. Maybe a month, month and a half. One day at my house I got a phone call. They said, You have until 1 tomorrow to come up with that money. I said, OK. Sounds good. Packed my stuff, bought a Delta plane ticket, and got the hell out of there.

You've been here ever since.

I've been in Vegas ever since, yeah.
That's some crazy shit, and obviously Dana appreciated the magnitude of his situation by leaving his television and personal belongings behind. You can call him crass, but you can't call him stupid.