Thread: One-on-One with UFC President Dana White

Default One-on-One with UFC President Dana White

Dana White pulled no punches in a Q&A about all things UFC - MMA - Jon Wertheim - SI.com

**Thread starter's note: The interview is very long, and obviously most hard-core fans are familiar with Dana White. I only posted the excerpts that interested me most.**

Whitey Bulger was basically the reason you got out of Boston, right?

Yeah, that's the reason I left. I had always planned on coming back to Vegas, I just didn't know when. I had a good thing going in Boston, at least I thought I did.

What was that?

We were training people, training fighters, we were training businessmen, we were training housewives. We were teaching anybody who wanted to learn how to box and I was making money. I was paying my bills and I enjoyed what I did.

I was having fun. So, yeah, I wasn't planning on leaving when I did. Then I got the phone call and I literally -- I had this pretty cool little place. I had a one-bedroom condo on a second floor with a huge deck, and I left everything there: furniture, television, stereos, bedroom set, everything I owned I left in that condo when I left.

I packed a suitcase with clothes and came out here. It was on a Sunday afternoon.

What was the call, 2,500 bucks?

Yes, 2,500 bucks. Yeah, well they had walked into a class. It was a guy named Kevin Weeks and he was one of his guys. Kevin Weeks was Whitey Bulger's right-hand man.

They walked into my class, 'You owe us 2,500 bucks.' 'For what?' They were just like, 'Figure it out. Get it.' I said, 'I don't have it. '
    2,500 bucks was like asking me for 25,000. I don't have it. They said, Well, get it from your girlfriend. I said, She doesn't have it either. They said, Well, you're going to have to figure it out.

So I avoided them for a while. Maybe a month, month and a half. One day at my house I got a phone call. They said, You have until 1 tomorrow to come up with that money. I said, OK. Sounds good. Packed my stuff, bought a Delta plane ticket, and got the hell out of there.

You've been here ever since.

I've been in Vegas ever since, yeah.
    That's some crazy shit, and obviously Dana appreciated the magnitude of his situation by leaving his television and personal belongings behind. You can call him crass, but you can't call him stupid.

Thats insane... I have never heard anything about his association with Whitey Bulger. He would most likely be a dead man right now if he didn't get the hell out of there.

Departed was a sickk movie but Bulger is one sick individual.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

who is Whitey Bulger?

Wiki him or whatever it is you need to do. Or watch the movie the departed Jack Nicholson plays a guy whom is named Francis Costello.. Which is portraying Whitey Bulger n the Havoc he caused in Boston.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Mob boss from Boston who was on the run from the FBI for 16 years or something until he was arrested as an 80 some odd yr old man. think he was charged with 18 murders or some shit like that

-Sam Rockwell

So he saved his life by simply moving to another city??
    What kind of criminals are those??

Here you owe money to some important criminal, you can even go to another country. They will still find you and kill you.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Well if they just wanted 2,500$ from some random person they probably weren't that worried about it when he left.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Yeah...If Whitey wanted u dead you were going to die. Dont matter where u flee to.

I think this was more a case that Dana was making money on Whitey's turf and Whitey wanted a slice of the profits... When Dana dipped he was no longer making money in Boston problem solved..If it was anything personal there would be no more Dana unless the Ferttita bro's have a scary ass mob of their own and Bulger figured Dana was too small for an out of state war.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information