Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clay Guida thinking about fresh start, not title picture

1. Default

My feelings are his heart and energy has the UFC putting him against opponets with a stronger skill set. The man gives us everything he has, sometimes that may not be what you like, but he's not using LNP to coast to a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    The Nate Diaz fight was FOTN as well, the only FOTN he won.

Guida was constantly trying to pass guard against Hioki, Hioki is just a beast off his back. Clay actually got Pettis back at one point and worked for a few submissions.

Clay is trying to advance position and due to his recent submissions, if he was able to pass guard, he may pull it off. He's just always fighting the best of the best, most who are better than Clay technically.
    Clay doesn't try to advance positions that much. With Pettis, Pettis was just willing to give him his back just to stop his attack.

The problem is that his technical skills looked like they were growing in his fights against Gomi and Gugerty, but then he reverted again.

As for the Nate fight, it's exactly in my opinion like the Diego fight. Nate would constantly attack and Guida would just try to hold on, so it looked like there was more going on. He's great at defending against submissions but he doesn't show much offensive skill.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    My feelings are his heart and energy has the UFC putting him against opponets with a stronger skill set. The man gives us everything he has, sometimes that may not be what you like, but he's not using LNP to coast to a win.
    You're right about that. He is a classic overachiever. He doesn't have the skillset that many of his opponents had, but was able to use his heart and energy to win. I disagree when you say he's not using LnP to win though. His style of LnP is very different. He looks like he's moving frantically but really he isn't advancing that much.

Some people might ask well does that mean you dislike Fitch's style. And the answer is no. The reason is because in Fitch's case, he stops his opponent's attack and he's truly controlling the fight from bell to bell. He really kills a lot of people's offense. Guida doesn't generally. There are quite few fights where Guida should've lost because the guy on the bottom was doing more work. Hioki fight was a classic example.

3. Default

[QUOTE=Dr. MMA;1002622
    You're right about that. He is a classic overachiever. He doesn't have the skillset that many of his opponents had, but was able to use his heart and energy to win. I disagree when you say he's not using LnP to win though. His style of LnP is very different. He looks like he's moving frantically but really he isn't advancing that much.

Some people might ask well does that mean you dislike Fitch's style. And the answer is no. The reason is because in Fitch's case, he stops his opponent's attack and he's truly controlling the fight from bell to bell. He really kills a lot of people's offense. Guida doesn't generally. There are quite few fights where Guida should've lost because the guy on the bottom was doing more work. Hioki fight was a classic example.[/QUOTE]

A classic post that I wish more would use. We agree and disagree but it was done without twisting to troll a arguement, and still make his point.
    I believe if Judging rules, refing, and Judges were better some of these points wouldn't even be a point.

Thread Information