+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would Rory be willing to fight GSP for 'millions of dollars' and 'massive endorsement

Default Would Rory be willing to fight GSP for 'millions of dollars' and 'massive endorsement

Would Rory MacDonald be willing to fight Georges St. Pierre for 'millions of dollars' and 'massive endorsements?'

Would Rory MacDonald be willing to fight Georges St. Pierre for 'millions of dollars' and 'massive endorsements?' - MMAmania.com

Would beating Carlos Condit at UFC 158 help change his mind?

"You didn't hear Georges jump in and say, 'I will not fight Rory MacDonald.' The way I look at that situation is, Georges is the king, he's got the belt, he's known as one of the greatest welterweights ever. The guy is a superstar worldwide, makes a shit-load of money (and) he's got major massive endorsements. Does Rory MacDonald want to be that guy? Or, does he want to say, 'I like Georges. He's a nice guy and I've trained with him and stuff, so, I'll just sit around and never see how great I really am.'"

‘Ares' has been adamant in the past that he will never fight his TriStar Gym stablemate, and, if that's the case, the young Canadian will never be champion as long as "Rush" is holding the title.

According to White, if Rory is content with that decision, he will never be able to find out just how good he can truly be and won't reap the benefits of multi-million dollar paydays and high-profile sponsorships, either. Unless, of course, he proves himself at middleweight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Would Rory be guaranteed success if he upset Tristar and was forced to find a new gym? He's still young and a pretty big WW. There's always the possibility he could fillout a bit more and move to MW. As GSP get older cutting weight will get more and more difficult and he may move to MW as well.

As much as I'd like to see these guys fight at somepoint, it's not a fight that MUST happen.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    it's not a fight that MUST happen.
    At this point anyways. its not inconceivable to get to that point though. Diaz and Hendricks are up... but then who? Rory has quickly been building himself up and if he avenges' his loss to Condit and continues to keep winning against better competition... He could soon be the next best WW that GSP needs to prove himself against as champion.

I dont like when people want to see fights so badly just because they dont like the idea of 2 teammates/friends refusing to fight each other... but sometimes it must happen if they choose to stay in the same division and organization together.

Who cares about the belt, money, sponsors, fame, poontain? I thought everyone became a fighter to make friends.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I actually think it would be a bad decision on his part to challenge GSP in the next 2ish years because I think he will lose. However give him around 3 years and I think he can beat GSP, and probably any other 170 pound man on this planet.

Rory is still a bit off even being in the title discussion. The rematch with Condit will answer a few of the questions about where he stands. I can see if he wins this being a discussion but right now a little early to worry about him fighting GSP.

I think Rory will be ok stepping to the side briefly for GSP and one of them will always have the option of moving up to MW should it come to it.

How about this guy fight and beat someone in the top 10 before being asked how great he can be?

As great as his win over BJ was, it's not like it was so impressive that Rory should be considered the next big thing. Standing side by side in the cage, it visibly looked like a MW against a LW. Rory dwarfed BJ in size and not only had hard time taking him down, he was taken down by a guy significantly smaller than him.

The first fight between Condit and Rory was an interesting fight. Perhaps Rory looked so good and Condit looked so bad, was Condit and everyone else had no idea what to expect from the newcomer. The rematch should go a lot differently. Both guys will be prepared, but moreso Condit, who won't be surprised by what Rory is capable of.

After which, lets throw some of the WW wrestlers at Rory, and some grapplers, and some better strikers. Then we will have a better idea of where he stands among the division.

But for now, wins over guys like Che Mills, Pyle, a LW in Nate Diaz, aren't worthy of talks of him fighting GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    How about this guy fight and beat someone in the top 10 before being asked how great he can be?

As great as his win over BJ was, it's not like it was so impressive that Rory should be considered the next big thing. Standing side by side in the cage, it visibly looked like a MW against a LW. Rory dwarfed BJ in size and not only had hard time taking him down, he was taken down by a guy significantly smaller than him.

The first fight between Condit and Rory was an interesting fight. Perhaps Rory looked so good and Condit looked so bad, was Condit and everyone else had no idea what to expect from the newcomer. The rematch should go a lot differently. Both guys will be prepared, but moreso Condit, who won't be surprised by what Rory is capable of.

After which, lets throw some of the WW wrestlers at Rory, and some grapplers, and some better strikers. Then we will have a better idea of where he stands among the division.

But for now, wins over guys like Che Mills, Pyle, a LW in Nate Diaz, aren't worthy of talks of him fighting GSP.
    Even as a Rory fan, I agree with the last statement there. If it wasn't for the fact that Rory had such a close fight with Condit already, there's no way that he would be matched up with the guy that GSP just beat. If Nick Diaz beat Condit, and GSP had beaten Diaz, would it now be Rory vs. Nick? No.

Lots of good fights out there for Rory. Koscheck, Fitch, Kampmann, Ellenberger.... anyone in the Top 10, really. The kid is only 22 or 23, I think. All the other WWs are late 20s, early to mid-30s I think. In 5 years, Rory may end up as a 28 year old kingpin of the WW division with no one even close to him. Scary thought.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information