+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White on the new #1 LW contender: "No Doubt he gets the next title shot"

1. Default Dana White on the new #1 LW contender: "No Doubt he gets the next title shot"

Dana White: ?No doubt' UFC on FOX 6 winner Anthony Pettis gets the next UFC lightweight title shot - MMAmania.com

Anthony Pettis knocked off fellow Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight contender Donald Cerrone on the main card of UFC on FOX 6: "Johnson vs. Dodson" and as a result had earned himself a lightweight title fight.

Pettis will face the winner of Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez, who meet in the main event of UFC on FOX 7 on April 20, 2013, sometime later this year, according to comments from UFC President Dana White on the UFC on FOX 6 post-fight show on FUEL TV.

Despite the fact this has been the third time White has promised "Showtime" a title shot in his short UFC career, White assures fans Pettis' shot will come to fruition this time around.

"No doubt about it [Pettis will get the next title shot]," White told FUEL TV correspondent Ariel Helwani on the UFC on FOX 6 post-fight show. "Is anyone else not sold on him? I am now."
    Pettis defeated Cerrone by first-round KO, and in the process became the first man to finish "Cowboy" via strikes with the help of a precise liver kick.

The 25-year-old will undoubtedly be happy to face either Henderson or Melendez, but the bigger fight of the two would certainly be a rematch with "Smooth," who Pettis defeated by unanimous decision in the final World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) event back in December 2010.

A Pettis vs. Henderson rematch would be a big fight for the lightweight division at this time, but of course nothing is set in stone unless the champion retains his belt against "El Nino."
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

WOOO! Atta boy Pettis! Hope he can stay healthy that whole time

3. Default

I've always been a skeptic of Anthony. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it was what I perceived as flash over substance. His loss to Clay didn't help either. I just never envisioned him as "that guy" at the top of the division.

And my love affair with Cerrone is well documented. I think he's an exceptionally talented fighter who just can't seem to get over that hurdle (Pettis, Diaz, Henderson). Maybe it's a mental thing with him, who knows?

But with that said, Pettis looked fantastic tonight and definitely won me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I've always been a skeptic of Anthony. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it was what I perceived as flash over substance. His loss to Clay didn't help either. I just never envisioned him as "that guy" at the top of the division.

And my love affair with Cerrone is well documented. I think he's an exceptionally talented fighter who just can't seem to get over that hurdle (Pettis, Diaz, Henderson). Maybe it's a mental thing with him, who knows?

But with that said, Pettis looked fantastic tonight and definitely won me over.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Cowboy too. He's a great fighter, very entertaining, and usually seems like a cool guy. But the trash talk outta nowhere on this one made me wanna see Pettis whoop dat ass.

Pettis is a beast though. I've been a fan since his WEC days, and then the World of Jenks episode really sealed it for me. I'm really hoping this title shot comes to fruition this time around.

5. Default

Some guys need that extra motivation to fight ala Nate Diaz. Unfortunately that comes by way of trash talk. This is a fight after all. Trash talk goes a long with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Some guys need that extra motivation to fight ala Nate Diaz. Unfortunately that comes by way of trash talk. This is a fight after all. Trash talk goes a long with the territory.
    Oh no doubt man, I get it. But Cowboy ain't always a trash talker. It was understandable with Varner and Nate because there was legitimate bad blood. This was just Cowboy callin Pettis a bitch kinda outta the blue.

So, Gilbert isn't getting and immediate title shot then? I'm ok with that. Pettis looked really good tonight. I think he's finally earned his title shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

8. Default

Considering this is the 3rd time Pettis has heard this, I wouldnt put a lot of stock in it til the fight is booked. After all, Bisping might discredit his win over a "fat" cerrone, or one of the diaz bros may say something unflattering...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information