Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Dana White on the new #1 LW contender: "No Doubt he gets the next title shot"

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    I bet you cowboy wont be saying Pettis is only a "flash" fighter.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    I didn't realize how much bigger cowboy was, and it worried me a little at the start of the fight, but Pettis is just who I thought he was all along. Worthy of the hype and one of the best strikers in mma.

    That's your next champ. Bendo is surely his kryptonite with his wrestling skills, but unless he lay and prays I think Pettis is our next champ.

    Now if Gilbert wins, I think Pettis has an even better shot at becoming champ.

    Pettis vs. Alveraz could be fight of the year if Eddie gets to come to the UFC.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

    All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    Pettis is the next champ imo

    Sure, he laid an egg in the Guida fight but he did just fine against Bendo only a fight before that against an even better wrestler. Plus, Guida is the definition of Lay N Pray and did no damage whatsoever in that fight. Most other guys will at least attempt to do some damage and thus give you a little bit of space to get up in the process, unlike Guida who literally just hugs and shoulder shrugs you.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.

    I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    As impressive as Pettis was, I think that he still needs to beat a top level wrestler. It was only three fights ago that Guida was able to Lay'n'Clay his way to a win against him.
    He's already beat one in Bendo. The Guida fight was bullshit. I wasn't surprised Guida got the nod, in fact I expected him too, but that fight perfectly demonstrates judges don't know what the fuck they are watching. If a fighter is constantly defending submissions like Guida was in the top position that isn't control.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."


  5. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I've always been a skeptic of Anthony. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it was what I perceived as flash over substance. His loss to Clay didn't help either. I just never envisioned him as "that guy" at the top of the division.

    And my love affair with Cerrone is well documented. I think he's an exceptionally talented fighter who just can't seem to get over that hurdle (Pettis, Diaz, Henderson). Maybe it's a mental thing with him, who knows?

    But with that said, Pettis looked fantastic tonight and definitely won me over.
    I have very similar feelings about all the fighters you mentioned.

    And, although Pettis looks better to me, I still think he gets in trouble with wrestlers. Given that Bendo has shown vastly improved gameplanning and in-fight discipline, I think he'll handle Pettis easily.

    I think Bendo walks through Gilbert and then wins a tough fight against Pettis. Throughout all of it, we'll hear stories about how his legs look like those of a linebacker from Goldie.... Ohhh Goldie, I'm glad you're back.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  6. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    If a guy attempts subs from the bottom, and the guy on top escapes/nullifies them, I consider that a wash. Taking someone down and keeping them down in the disadvantageous position is control IMO.

    If Guida was capable of controlling Pettis, then so is Bendo. He just needs to utilize a more wrestling-orientated gameplan in the rematch.
    It's not a disadvantageous position for the fighter on the bottom if the fighter on top is constantly defending sub attempts. The guy on bottom is the one that is attacking and the only one threatening.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

  7. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    Another thing to note...is that Pettis has been training with Ben Askren. He's easily one of the best wrestlers in MMA and he's considerably bigger than Pettis, which is cool considering Bendo is a huge LW.

    I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.


  8. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    It is considered a disadvantageous position in MMA, especially if the other fighter put you down in that position. It is considered a neutral position in BJJ, but I think that is due to the inability to throw strikes. In MMA, the position favors the guy on top because keeping him down limits your opponent to the grappling aspect of MMA.
    I see your point and that is exactly why the judges gave that fight to Guida, but even with the takedowns Pettis was winning the grappling exchanges, because he was the one constantly putting Guida in spots that he didn't want to be in, while Guida had zero offense the entire fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •