+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White on the new #1 LW contender: "No Doubt he gets the next title shot"

Pettis is definitely up there as one of the best LW's in the world. However, I'm still not sold on him being able to beat Guida if they fought again. Jeremy Stephens tried to wrestle him and almost won. I think Pettis is a guy who is just really, really good fighting at a long range, and it makes him look ridiculously good when he fights a guy like Cerrone who lets him fight on the outside. Bendo is an outside fighter as well so I think Pettis has a good shot at beating him, and not sure about Melendez either. I just think someone like Maynard would be able to completely nullify Pettis.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Huh?

Ben Henderson is already fighting Gilbert Melendez. Pettis was named the #1 contender to fight the winner of that.
    So that fight has been officially announced? I haven't heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

3. Default

Not many Petis fights in my memory bank, but it seems like against one style looks great than wrestler not so great. He may be Bendo's worst match-up, but figure he would change up his game just for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So that fight has been officially announced? I haven't heard that.
    UFC on Fox 7, on April 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    UFC on Fox 7, on April 20th.
    Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Anthony Pettis Earns Lightweight Title Shot, Will Wait for Benson Henderson or Gilbert Melendez

Anthony Pettis Earns Lightweight Title Shot, Will Wait for Benson Henderson or Gilbert Melendez | MMAWeekly.com

“I think the (Gilbert) Melendez fight is pretty set, but he’s next,” White said about Pettis at the UFC on Fox 6 post fight press conference. “I can’t say enough good things about the kid, that was incredible tonight. Obviously, his big all time highlight will be the kick off the fence, but tonight was unbelievable, the knee off the fence, it was phenomenal.”
    “I mean if it’s a guaranteed title shot, I’m waiting,” Pettis stated. “That’s what my goals are, that was my goal this year, if it’s next I’m definitely going to wait. (I’ll) get better, and get what’s mine.”

The waiting game is always a risky one when it comes to UFC title shots. Some fighters have waited and never ended up getting a shot due to injuries and just the way things played out, while some have waited and it paid off with a championship win. UFC President Dana White has seen it go both ways, so he can’t offer any advice to Pettis on his decision.

“I’ve seen both go the wrong way, so who knows,” White said about waiting.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I'm with rumble on this one. I like both of them but that trash talk by cowboy was too much. He kinda turned cerrone into his bitch tonight with that liver kick, that'll shut anyone up real quick
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

I like Pettis alot, but the Guida still fight sticks with me and since then, he's been paired up fight fighters who greatly favour his style. For example, I think that Gray Maynard eats a sandwich on Showtime's back for fifteen minutes.

9. Default

I wouldn't favor Pettis in matches against Maynard, Gilbert, Miller, Grant, Josh Thomson... hell, even Jamie Varner and Evan Dunham.

He needs to show us that he has improved his takedown defense and/or ability to get up/sweep. Like goodtimes mentioned, even Jeremy "Scumbag" Stephens had some success utilizing wrestling against Pettis.
    ------------------

....that fucking cartwheel kick....man this guy could be grow into the Anderson Silva of the LW division. he just invents ways to whoop peoples ass. Henderson will have his hands full and will have to be at his very best, which is to say he must improve much more than when he fought Edgar the second time. Because if he fights Pettis like that, he's gonna be dreaming of winning a hair contest against Troy Polamalu.....while he becomes the EX champion...
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information