Thread: UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson: ‘I Still Have Lots to Improve On’

Hybrid View

Default UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson: ‘I Still Have Lots to Improve On’

UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson: ‘I Still Have Lots to Improve On’

UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson:

“The first couple of rounds were hard. He showed some stuff that I wasn’t ready for, and I had to dig deep like a champion and pull through and keep the pressure on him,” said Johnson. “He was fast. I should have just followed the game plan, but I was getting greedy and too excited, and I was standing there, brawling with him. Then I got caught. I got up, and I was like, ‘You’re alright. Just relax and breathe, and you’re going to get through it. You just got caught.’”

After hitting the deck in the second frame, Johnson saw his superior conditioning take over as the bout wore on. Though Dodson’s fast hands and explosiveness have proved a challenge for the champion the early going, it was Johnson who appeared the fresher of the men down the stretch, a fact that he attributes to both his preparation and Octagon experience.

“Anybody can be fast in the first couple of rounds. My wife is fast in the first round, but it’s a five-round fight. You’ve got to be fast all five rounds, and I am,” said Johnson. “Going five rounds with Joseph [Benavidez] and Dominick [Cruz] and six rounds with Ian McCall, that stuff is all under my belt. Now I went five rounds with a guy who isn’t faster than me, but he’s close. Going five rounds with him helps me out a lot. That’s what other fighters have to look forward to when they fight me.”

The championship rounds were particularly impressive for Johnson, despite accidentally catching a downed Dodson with an illegal knee to the head during a fourth-round flurry. Mighty Mouse then closed the distance on his hard-hitting foe in the final frame, controlling him in the clinch while punishing the challenger with knees, punches and elbows.

“If you look at all of John Dodson’s fights, he does not like to be in the clinch,” said Johnson. “When you’re clinching with Matt Hume and getting kneed by him on a daily basis, you’re ready for a knee from anybody in the flyweight or bantamweight division.”

Though Johnson is regarded by many as one of the sport’s top pound-for-pound talents, the AMC Pankration product says he is by no means satisfied with his resume as it currently stands.

“I’m just a hard worker,” said Dodson. “I know I still have lots to improve on. I’m ready to go back home and get ready for my next fight and keep on improving as a mixed martial artist.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Apparently DW has said he thought Dodson won the fight (first 3 rounds), anyone else think it was controversial? Honestly I was really tired and was going in and out in the last 2 rounds, but it looked like Johnson was pretty much in control for the last 3 rounds. 1st round was close, 2nd round clearly Dodson won, I'd even consider maybe a 10-8 since he rocked Johnson twice. I would have scored it 48-47 Johnson.

All of Johnson's fights are so close, he looks like he's the best guy at 125 but only by a razor thin margin. I'm thinking he's going to lose one of these decisions one day. That or just get KO'ed by a guy with similar power to Dodson but more technically sound.

Zombie is born!

I had it 49-46 actually. I think I gave the second to Dodson.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

49-46? Seriously? I had it 48-47 for dodson, I think he was in control and did more damage the first three rounds, Johnson's take downs didn't last more than a few seconds in those rounds, I honestly don't think they should be scored so highly when the opponent pops right back up, but apparently some people sees a take down as a take down.....I think Dodson can beat Johnson and that Johnson just got by Dodson in this fight, but did not come close to really dominating the fight. I think Johnson pressure and "take downs" won him the fight in the judges eyes, but I think Dodson is a special talent who will improve and possibly stop Johnson the next time they meet. Most people didn't expect him to do so well in this fight. I hope Dodson has earned some well deserved respect, and if Dana thinks Dodson won, then he's one fight away from a rematch. I have to give it up to Johnson for staying tough and sticking to his game plan, it was ugly but he got the job done.....this time.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I had Dodson winning barely, hard to say, could have been a draw.

I didn't have a problem with the decision either though, if it would have continued, Dodson surely would have lost.

Kinda like, Dodson = better fighter vs. Johnson better cardio.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information