Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson's message to Teixeira after UFC on FOX 6: 'Go get the title'

Default Jackson's message to Teixeira after UFC on FOX 6: 'Go get the title'

Jackson's message to Teixeira after UFC on FOX 6: 'Go get the title' | News

Teixeira (20-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) thanked Jackson (32-11 MMA, 7-5 UFC), who plans to leave the UFC after a falling out with the organization. The Brazilian told him he was appreciated the opportunity and also considered himself a "Rampage" fan.

Jackson's response?

"He said, 'Now I'm your fan. Go get the title,'" Teixeira said.

Teixeira seemingly fed into Jackson's taunting when he promised he'd stand and trade with the striker. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and dominant ground fighter did just that, and he rocked Jackson on multiple occasions with uppercuts and stinging body punches. It ultimately led to a unanimous-decision victory via 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 scores.

"He's a legend in this sport, and I feel great going in there and having that fight with him," Teixeira said. "I stood up with him, took him down, did it all. I feel great about the fight."

The victory was Teixeira's 18th straight, including his third consecutive in the UFC. Prior to joining the organization, he dominated the Brazilian circuit as a UFC contract was delayed by visa issues. Now, though, he's banked his biggest win to date, and it came against a fighter who came into the fight in surprisingly good shape, as UFC President Dana White was quick to point out.

"I beat a guy who's been in the top 10 for how long?" Teixeira said. "He's an ex-champ and a tough guy. Like Dana was saying, he was training hard. He was tough. He's so tough. He can take a punch.

"But [this win] puts me up there. I'm ready to fight anyone."

Teixeira, who had finished 16 of his previous 17 opponents, didn't put Jackson away. But White said it's forgivable.

"I honestly believe that tonight if Glover was fighting anyone else he would have knocked them out in the first round," he said after the fight. "'Rampage' got hit with that shot, and not only can he punch hard, he can take a punch."

So what's next Teixeira? Champ Jon Jones fights Chael Sonnen in April, the same month in which top contender Alexander Gustafsson meets Strikeforce import Gegard Mousasi, and ex-champ Rashad Evans meets Antonio Rogerio Nogueira this coming weekend in UFC 156's co-headliner. Additionally, contender Phil Davis is likely to get an upcoming fight with Vinny Magalhaes.

So where does that leave Teixeira, who plans to take off five days before he's back in the gym?

"It's up to him and the UFC," he said. "I don't care. I'll fight anyone, anyone out there. I think I'm 100 percent right now, and when they call me, I'll be ready."

Quinton Jackson doesn't know if he 'can compete with the top people anymore,' plans to be like Gary Goodridge
    Quinton Jackson doesn't know if he 'can compete with the top people anymore,' plans to be like Gary Goodridge - MMAmania.com

"I don't know if I can compete with the top people," the former Light Heavyweight champion admitted to FUEL TV correspondent Ariel Helwani on the UFC on FOX 6: "Johnson vs. Dodson" post-fight show. "It's my first time I've lost three fights in a row. I'm not going to give up. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and work on everything. I feel like I can come back if I set my mind to it, but right now if anyone picks me up, that's my marketing pitch -- hey I'll put on a great show for you."
    "I think that this is my reality and I have to see what's next," he said. "I've been fighting for 13 years and the game has changed a lot. I might just be one of those fighters that come in and excite the crowd -- be like Gary Goodridge. One of those guys who just comes out and puts on a great show. Gary Goodridge is a great ambassador for the sport and he taught me a long time ago that it's all about the show. I'm just going out there and try to entertain the fans. I'll be one of those middle range fighters. If someone wants to pick me up and somebody is going to put on an exciting fight for the fans."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Does Rampage know Goodridge has serious brain damage now? It's too bad, but I think Rampage realizes fighting is all he knows how to do. I hope Bellator picks him up, so at least he won't have to fight the best all the time. He can still compete, but top 5 guys are just too much for him now.

Zombie is born!

I distinctly remember somebody heralding Teixeira for years on this forum....that guy knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I distinctly remember somebody heralding Teixeira for years on this forum....that guy knows his stuff.
    That guy sure does know his stuff.

What do you think of Glover's chances, right now, against Jon Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post

Honestly, he'd be the underdog, but I think he cracks Jones' jaw in the first and second and RNCs him in under 4.

Nobody at LHW has the complete game that Glover brings(Machida doesn't have his wrestling....), Glover's got patient power striking, strength from the clinch, experience, very good wrestling and great BJJ. On the feet, I think Jones' reach will only work so long before Glover comes in and clinches him, weighs on him and looks to GNP. Jones doesn't like getting hit and will probably look for a takedown, which I don't think would be wise.

Only fear with Glover is cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post

He gets destroyed like Jones destroyed Page. Jones' top knotch wrestling and the height and reach advantage is a big problem for anyone at lhw (as showcased).

Rampage hasn't been the same since the Griffin fight and I'm happy he sees that now.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    He gets destroyed like Jones destroyed Page. Jones' top knotch wrestling and the height and reach advantage is a big problem for anyone at lhw (as showcased).

Rampage hasn't been the same since the Griffin fight and I'm happy he sees that now.
    I agree. I think Jones would beat him, but Glover could crack him standing and could match his physicality if it hit the ground. Not a foregone conclusion that Jones wins, IMO. It could be a very entertaining fight.

I thought Rampage looked good last night, just not a top five fighter anymore.

Rampage shouldn't even bother. He's done after looking like that. You don't just "go back to the drawing board" at 34 years old looking like that. At least he gave Glover his props tho.

Glover looked very timid and his cardio wasn't very good either. I'd say maybe give him Hendo or Sonnen next depending on the outcome of their fights to see how he does against a dude with a solid wrestling pedigree, maybe even Davis (I think Davis gets Ko'd easy tho)

Jones doesn't like being hit and Glover is patient and tactful with his power strikes.

Jones will look to shoot for the takedown the moment he gets touched and Glover has sick TDD. Jones will get stuffed and be in range(possibly pressed against the cage), and will get touched up. Best case scenario, Jones come in for the takedown and Glover touches him, even if he GETS the takedown, Glover's BJJ is very competent and Jones' wrestling isn't overwhelming.

This fight is closer than alot of people think.

Thread Information