Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC And Anderson Silva Not Ready To Commit To Chris Weidman Title Fight

Hybrid View

1. Default UFC And Anderson Silva Not Ready To Commit To Chris Weidman Title Fight

UFC and Anderson Silva not ready to commit to Chris Weidman title fight | News

What's next for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who could return to the octagon this spring? Chris Weidman is a possibility, but no one seems to be ready to commit.

Silva, the UFC's longtime titleholder and the world's top pound-for-pound fighter, has made no firm promises about his next opponent. In recent months, rumored possibilities have run the gamut of the welterweight, middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions: Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones, Luke Rockhold, Cung Le and – before their recent losses – Michael Bisping, Alan Belcher and Tim Boetsch.

Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who's been on the sidelines since a dominant win over Mark Munoz this past summer, has been the most vocal about wanting the opportunity against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) .

"Weidman and his manager sat down and said, 'We want Anderson Silva. We want to fight him. I'm going to beat him. I'm going to be the next world champion,'" UFC President Dana White said. "I said, 'OK. We'll call you in a few weeks.'"
    However, Silva and Co., including manager Ed Soares, have expressed little desire in a matchup they feel is unmarketable.

"This is typical Anderson Silva-Ed Soares craziness," White said. "Every f---ing time there's a fight, he wants to fight 'Mighty Mouse' Johnson. Then he wants to fight this guy and that guy. It's always the same deal. It always happen. 'I absolutely will not fight Chael Sonnen. He doesn't deserve the title.' This is what we do."
    Weidman, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, joined the UFC with a late-notice opportunity and a meager 4-0 record. However, the 28-year-old has quickly emerged as a contender following wins over Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawlor, Demian Maia and Munoz.

Weidman was slated to fight Boetsch in a featured bout this past month at UFC 155. However, a shoulder injury ultimately forced him out of the bout and onto the sidelines. He underwent successful surgery for a torn labrum and rotator cuff, an AC joint separation and a slight ligament tear back in November.

Upon his return, Weidman said he still wants Silva. But though White has suggested the champ's next challenge will come from the middleweight division, it won't necessarily be Weidman.

"We're waiting on something and want to see if this thing pans out," White said. "When we're ready to announce it, we'll announce it. [Silva] will defend his title, but it won't be a super fight."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Rockholddddddddddddd
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

We don't even need to read RD's posts on Silva. What Soares/Anderson wants, RD wants. What Soares/Anderson does not want, RD does not want. When Soares makes a stupid excuse about something that makes no sense, RD is here to defend the stupid excuse with more stupid excuses.

Keep on toeing that line.

i actually agree with what RDs been saying about the two champions thing. Cant have 2 champs in the same divison, they need to unify the belts. Let Weidman get another fight in once he returns from his injury, if he wins that hen give him AS.

5. Default

Two champions thing? What is this? The WWE?

I don't care if your Momma gave you a belt and named you the champion of the living room, once you enter the UFC, all belts are null in void.

How can you be a champion of an organization that doesn't exist?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Two champions thing? What is this? The WWE?

I don't care if your Momma gave you a belt and named you the champion of the living room, once you enter the UFC, all belts are null in void.

How can you be a champion of an organization that doesn't exist?
    Well Hendo seemed to pull it off pretty well. UFC 75 was actually called Champion vs Champion and UFC 82 was called Pride of a Champion.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt Hendo come out with the Pride belts for both fights?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Well Hendo seemed to pull it off pretty well. UFC 75 was actually called Champion vs Champion and UFC 82 was called Pride of a Champion.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt Hendo come out with the Pride belts for both fights?
    sure did!

....i like the idea of a rockhold fight. makes the most sense to me right now. either that or some sort of super fight w Anderson (vs bones ...or rashad or someone). As long as it ain't some bs like cung next haha

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Pride had a huge fan-base and UFC knew it. They wanted this fan-base. Pride was big enough to give these fighters great exposure/hype, during its time. I'm sure this is why UFC did as you said. Stirkeforce on the other hand was mediocre at best. Sure the die-hards watched and payed attention to what was going on within the organization. But they definitely didn't give the fighters they had anywhere close to half the exposure Pride had given theirs. That being said, I doubt the UFC really banked on gaining much of a 'new' fan-base from the absorption, like they had when taking over and absorbing Pride. Because the Champions don't have as much weight behind their names yet. I mean, look at what happened to Jake Shields when he came over. And he actually had a little bit of that weight behind his name.

@ Mr. Cornute,
    How many of these WEC Champs got an immediate Title Fight when they came over after WEC was absorbed? I don't think your comparison of these 'situations' hold any water because, as I stated above, it is actually a completely different situation. The only similarity with this is that they were absorbed by the UFC. You can't necessarily dismiss the organization known as Pride, its fan-base, and what it stood for within that fan-base to compare these situations. Pride gave its fighters a heck of a lot more exposure/hype, even after its death, because of its legacy. This is what the UFC feeds off of to further hype and sell their fights. Strikeforce didn't come close to giving it's fighters this kind of exposure, even during its prime. So they can't be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvall View Post
    Pride had a huge fan-base and UFC knew it. They wanted this fan-base. Pride was big enough to give these fighters great exposure/hype, during its time. I'm sure this is why UFC did as you said. Stirkeforce on the other hand was mediocre at best. Sure the die-hards watched and payed attention to what was going on within the organization. But they definitely didn't give the fighters they had anywhere close to half the exposure Pride had given theirs. That being said, I doubt the UFC really banked on gaining much of a 'new' fan-base from the absorption, like they had when taking over and absorbing Pride. Because the Champions don't have as much weight behind their names yet. I mean, look at what happened to Jake Shields when he came over. And he actually had a little bit of that weight behind his name.

@ Mr. Cornute,
    How many of these WEC Champs got an immediate Title Fight when they came over after WEC was absorbed? I don't think your comparison of these 'situations' hold any water because, as I stated above, it is actually a completely different situation. The only similarity with this is that they were absorbed by the UFC. You can't necessarily dismiss the organization known as Pride, its fan-base, and what it stood for within that fan-base to compare these situations. Pride gave its fighters a heck of a lot more exposure/hype, even after its death, because of its legacy. This is what the UFC feeds off of to further hype and sell their fights. Strikeforce didn't come close to giving it's fighters this kind of exposure, even during its prime. So they can't be compared.
    The only WEC champ that did not get a title shot (or title) was Pettis and this was due to Edgar and Maynard II resulting in a Draw. If that did not occur they would have given Pettis a shot, especially riding the heat from his fight with Bendo. They immediately recognized Aldo and Dom as champions and rightfully so as they were just introducing those divisions. By the time WEC folded the UFC already absorbed their larger divisions, WW/MW/LHW/HW.
    Dan represented Pride when he came over when Zuffa bought Pride for both the MW and LHW divisions. Fedor held the HW title in Pride and did not sign and that is the ONLY reason and even then he still would have likely received an immediate title shot (DESERVING) if he would have signed to the UFC.
    Hell when they brought Shields over he was billed as a champion (Strikeforce) and worthy opponent for GSP. They took Nate Diaz from Strikeforce and billed him as a champion vs GSP (until he fucked up the press conference).
    I think many have missed the point that I stated "The UFC COULD do a CHAMP vs CHAMP because it is easiest to promote". I didn't state that Rockhold deserved it, nor did I state that Strikeforce was exactly the same but the two do compare.
    In no way did I dismiss Pride, considering I stated that without Pride as competition the UFC would not be where they are today, I think it shows the level of respect I have for Pride, what it brought to MMA and the fighters the UFC absorbed with it.

What I am stating is that since the MW division is in a bit of flux this would be an easy fix for the UFC to promote Rockhold to fight Anderson.
    Last edited by Mr. Cornute; 01-29-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    The only WEC champ that did not get a title shot (or title) was Pettis and this was due to Edgar and Maynard II resulting in a Draw. If that did not occur they would have given Pettis a shot, especially riding the heat from his fight with Bendo. They immediately recognized Aldo and Dom as champions and rightfully so as they were just introducing those divisions. By the time WEC folded the UFC already absorbed their larger divisions, WW/MW/LHW/HW.
    Dan represented Pride when he came over when Zuffa bought Pride for both the MW and LHW divisions. Fedor held the HW title in Pride and did not sign and that is the ONLY reason and even then he still would have likely received an immediate title shot (DESERVING) if he would have signed to the UFC.
    Hell when they brought Shields over he was billed as a champion (Strikeforce) and worthy opponent for GSP. They took Nate Diaz from Strikeforce and billed him as a champion vs GSP (until he fucked up the press conference).
    I think many have missed the point that I stated "The UFC COULD do a CHAMP vs CHAMP because it is easiest to promote". I didn't state that Rockhold deserved it, nor did I state that Strikeforce was exactly the same but the two do compare.
    In no way did I dismiss Pride, considering I stated that without Pride as competition the UFC would not be where they are today, I think it shows the level of respect I have for Pride, what it brought to MMA and the fighters the UFC absorbed with it.

What I am stating is that since the MW division is in a bit of flux this would be an easy fix for the UFC to promote Rockhold to fight Anderson.
    Cantwell and Condit got immediate Title Shots? I must of missed those fights. Aldo and Cruz were given titles because those divisions were being created, as you said. That's a bit different than getting an actual title shot and was definitely the right move to make considering the UFC didn't have any fighters for them to fight. I also think you missed the point of my post. You should re-read it. It was a rebuttal to your "apples to apples" comparison. My Jake Shields comment was in reference to the UFC most likely learning a lesson in promoting a so called Champ from Strikeforce with the kind of hype they put behind him. And yes, the UFC could do a Champ vs Champ promotion but you fail to realize that most casual fans have most likely never heard of Rockhold. So they could promote another fight just as easily or maybe even easier. And if the lesson from Shields was learned, they may be smart enough not to touch the Champ vs Champ promo with him. Oh and Diaz, was a UFC and Pride fighter before he went to Strikeforce, so he already had a name behind him that was well known. Rockhold might be the fight to make, I was not completely disputing that. I was however disputing your comparison of Strikeforce and Pride.

Thread Information